Sims 2 : "Are you sure you want to quit the installation" problem help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey All...was hoping to get some help with this issue. I've searched the net high and low for other people experiencing the same problem, and the only thing i can find was someone saying that CD burning software may be the culprit. (LINK)

The problem comes up after typing in the product key, and choosing where to install the software. After clicking NEXT it asks us Are you sure you want to quit the installation?

We originally bought the DVD version, had the problem, thought it may be the disc or some other issue...so we returned it, and tried the CD version - exact same problem.

I've used the "SimEraser" to remove any reference to sims in my reg...I've searched thru the reg for anything sims related...still the same issue. Tried the weird suggestion of removing burning software (Nero)...no effect...

Has anyone encountered this problem? I emailed EA...no reply..i may try to call tech support tomorrow if i have time.

Thanks!
Collin

*fixed!

So i figured it out! And i guess i owe it to iTunes...when I tried to run iTunes late last night, it told me that it couldn't find "My Documents". I originally had "My Documents" mapped to my other HD...which then got its drive letter screwed up when i was messing with Virtual Daemon the other night. After remapping the "My Documents" folder, iTunes worked fine...so I thought that maybe Sims 2 had similar needs...And sure enough, i made it thru the install first try.

So there ya go...Sims 2 requiers the My Documents folder for some reason...

Collin

I never would have guessed that, except for storing saved games. Anyway glad you got it all sorted out and thank you for posting the solution to possibly help others in the future.

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

Sims 2 needs My Documents

Thanks for posting the solution. "My documents" was mapped to another PC (currently not available), perhaps this is why it bocked.

We should call EA Games tech support so they have to pay for the hour I wasted. My 13 year old daughter would never stop complaining so why should EA Games get off so easy ;-)

I have have the same reply. I used to always have the computer administrator put his password on for me to install since i had a limited account. I think he got tired of having to come and type his password everytime I wanted to play. So, he uninstalled the game from the whole computer and made me a computer administrator too. We tried re-installing the game onto my account but after the serial number was entered and you click 'Next' it goes, 'Are you sure you want to quit the installation?' Basically the same problem. I've also e-mailed EA Games, no reply. I am dying to play the game and therefore would love to get a reply!!! If anyone could help me I would be super-greatful!!! Thanks, clijstersfan4

"Are you sure you want to quit setup"

I have been looking everywhere for help with this. I have the exact same problem. After inputting the serial and clicking next I receive the "Are you sure you want to quit set up" message. I don't understand why.

I have tried the following:

-remap My Documents
-change virtual drive software (to alcohol's new version, which claims to work)
-different serial keys
-change image location

Nothing has worked, I have just about given up. Hopefully someone else can assist me with this issue.

Thanks

"Are you sure you want to quit the installation?" I am getting the same message and I am completely puzzled.... Here's what I have done so far and what EA Tech support has told me, but nothing they have suggested has worked:

First: I installed it SUCCESSFULLY on my Computer that has Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2. However, because it's actually my wife that plays Sims 2 I wanted to put it on our other computer that had Windows 2000, so I could uninstall it from my PC.

When I tried installing it on Windows 2000 I got the message: "Are you sure you want to quit the installation?" EA told me:

>Try renaming the InstallShield folder:
>1. Double-click on the My Computer icon.
>2. Double-Click on the C:
>3. Double-Click on Program Files then on Common Files.
>4. Right-Click on the InstallShield folder.
>5. Select Rename.
>6. Rename it to InstallShieldOld.
>7. Start the installation again to reinstall the InstallShield components with the newest version.

THIS DID NOT WORK.

Then they told me:

>try updating the drivers for your chipsets.
>These drivers can be obtained by taking the following steps:

>· Click on your operating system and select chipset drivers
>· Download and install the latest chipset drivers

>It should then prompt you to begin the download. Be mindful of the Install instructions that >Via recommends.

THIS DID NOT WORK!!!

So, I reformatted my hard drive and deleted everything from the computer (after backing it up of course.) Then I installed Windows XP Pro SP2 on this computer.

I then tried Sims 2 installation again... and got the same message: "Are you sure you want to quit the installation?"

EA told me:

>I'm sorry for the inconvenience. It could be SP2 since this has caused a lot of problems >with other games and programs. You may want to try uninstalling that and see if the >game would install. Also try ending background processes before starting an installation.

>To close unnecessary programs and processes on Windows XP, do the following:

>Hold down the Ctrl and Alt keys on your keyboard at the same time, and press the Delete >key once.
>Click on the Task Manager button to launch the Windows Task Manager.
>Follow these steps to close unnecessary programs:
>Click on the Applications tab to view the list of active programs.
>Click on any program listed in this window and select the End Task button.
>Repeat the previous instructions until all programs have been closed.
>Follow these steps to close unnecessary processes:
>Click on the Processes tab to view the list of active processes.
>Click in the User Name column header to organize the processes by login.
>Click on any program listed next to your Windows login, other than EXPLORER.EXE and >TASKMGR.EXE, then select the End Process button.
>Warning : Do not close any processes running under SYSTEM, LOCAL SERVICE, or >NETWORK SERVICE.
>Repeat the previous instructions until all programs associated to your Windows Login are >closed except for the following two:
>TASKMGR.EXE
>EXPLORER.EXE

HOW COULD IT BE A WINDOWS XP SERVICE PACK 2 problem??? Sims 2 worked on my other PC that had service pack 2.

Could it be a hardware compatibility problem??? The only difference between my PC and the other PC is the hardware:
Sims 2 worked on my PC with an Intel Pentium 4 processor, but doesn't work on my PC with an AMD processor...

If I ever find a solution I will post it... GOOD LUCK

hey guys can one of u help me i burnt the sims 2 from my cuzin and i install it on my computer and when i wanna play it all it does is show The Sims 2 thing and says please insert the correct cd rom, do any of u kno how to fix this or patch it onto the computer so i dont need the disk to play????? if anyone does please tell me cuz ive been looking for how to patch it but i cant find it

who cares can u just help me its not illigal because i bought it but it was in europe so im not doin anythig..... just please help me guys

alcohol

you need something like "alcohol 120%" it's a program that acts as a virtual cd-rom drive. That way you can store images of your CD's on your computer instead of having to put the cd in the computer everytime you want to play. This works with many games.

Cannot Install Sims

I've been trying for days to get the Sims 2 installed on my PC. First it wouldn't read Disk 2 and it would say "not responding" after doing everything that EAgames said for me to do I got it to read disk 2. NOW it's stuck on Disk 4!!!!!

Anybody else having this issue??? The disks can be read from the my computer side so its not a read error.

Whenever I try installing it says a problem occured...bla..bla..retry or cancel. Is iTunes the problem here? I have posted loads on this site and not one person has helped me!!
Write back if you can help!
Chloe

=]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back