Sims makin' magic, installation problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

oliviabacks

ok so I have the same exact problem. I am trying to install the sims makin' magic and nothing happens. Except the following:

Installshield Wizard

the sims makin' magic setup is preparing the installshield Wizard, which will guide you through the rest of the setup process. Please wait.

and then shortly after a box pops up saying:

The Installshield engine (ikernel.exe) could not be installed.
incorrect function.

I've tried the ctrl + alt + delete and I didn't even have the ikernel.exe on the task manager.

So I was unable to fix it.
I am really stressed out right now and really really need help with this stupid ikernel.exe installshield problem.

Someone please!!!!! help!!!!

what? really you are no help. I just made one of these profile things like 20 minutes ago. Do you actually think that I know how to post one of these things? because I don't. I need help and if your not gonna help then stop writing.

Some tech helper you are.

than please help!

i've already seen that. but I didn't understand the instructions. I didn't know play by play what to do where to go all that stuff. I need more specific stand by help. please help?

Posts merged into thread.

Just lose the attitude now.

Which bit of the instructions in the link I gave you don`t you understand?

Try this.

In Windows Explorer, turn on "Show all files and folders, including hidden and system". See how HERE.

Then navigate to the following folder.

C:\windows\system32 and look to see if these three files are present.

Stdole32.tlb
Stdole2.tlb
Stdole.tlb

Let me know if they are.

Regards Howard :)

how do I navigate to that folder? sorry about the attitude.

umm for the windows explorer, what is that? a cd do I need or something?

Double click My computer, then your c drive, then the windows folder, then the system32 folder.

Edit: I`m trying to walk you through the steps in the MS article.

I need you to tell me if the 3 files are there.

Ok, now we might be getting somewhere lol. I take it the other two files are there as they are supposed to be?

Download the attached zip file and save it to your desktop. Extract it and place the resulting file stdole.tlb into this location. C:\windows\system32. Reboot your system and see if you still have problems.

Attachments

• stdole.zip
    2.5 KB · Views: 210
ok so what now? lol step by step like the double click my computer then click etc..... thing. Sorry if I'm a pain, I just need step by step and what is extract and replace the file?

yes I have the other two. lol

and how do I reboot my system, do you mean restart my computer?

hold I think I just figured the first couple steps lol.

ok so what I did first was i clicked that attachment and clicked save when the thing popped up. I saved it to the system32.

Did I do the steps correctly, or Am I missing something?

what next?

The file I attached is a zip file with the file you need inside. What you needed to do was save it to your desktop and unzip(extract the file from inside. You do this by right clicking the zip file and choosing extract file. Then, once you`ve done that, you place the stdole.tlb file in your system32 folder and restart your computer.

ok so while i sent you that last post. I realized what I did wrong and corrected myself. lol Instead I deleted the file because I looke next to the stdole32.tlb and stdole2.tlb and it said stdole.zip

I figured that was wrong and read over the directions again. I realized to open the attachment and download it instead of saving it first. Then it gave me the option to extract all files. I chose that zip file and extracted it to the system32. Then I checked system32 and there it was!!! stdole.tlb!!!

all I have to do now is restart the computer and try to install the game again. correct?

thank you so much, I really hope this will work lol.

Yes, restart your computer and see what happens. Hopefully, if we`re lucky, it`ll work and you won`t have any other problems.

houston we have a problem.

now.... its says instead of "incorrect function"

it now says: Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

Damn, that`s not good and probably means there`s a problem with the game cd/dvd.

Make sure the cd/dvd is clean, free from fingerprints and not scratched. Then, try installing again, possibly even using a different cd/dvd drive, if you have one available.

well the reason this whole problem started was: I tried to install sims superstar to see if it would work. Because I wasn't quite sure if my computer had enough memory since its like 4 years old. So about 3/4 the way of installing it. Something happens and it didn't work. So I tried to put the makin magic cd in to see if that still worked and If I could still play it. Unfortunately it said something bad like it didn't work and to try and reinstall it. SO I uninstalled the whole sims and tried to install it over again. Then these problems occured. I'm pretty sure its not the cd. Because it was working fine yesterday just maybe the computer is really old or something? I'm not sure.

You could try doing a system restore to before your problem occurred.

Click start/all programs/Accessories/System tools/System restore/Next and choose a restore point from before your problems began. Follow the onscreen prompts.

ok never mind. so now I feel really stupid. Because I didn't possibly think that my cd was dirty or anything. But after a while I got desperate so I took the cd out. And to my knowledge the cd WAS dirty. So I cleaned as bet I could and put it back in. AND GUESS WHAT!!!!

its installing!!! hahaha yessssss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back