Single Core CPUs outdated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LXIX

I have an Abit AW8D motherboard and it only supports Penitum 4 and Pentium D. So unless I buy new motherboard, CPU, and CPU cooler I can't upgrade to any dual/quad core cpus. Do you think I need to upgrade to dual core cpu soon or do you think i can survive with just upgrading my single core Pentium 4 to a 3.4ghz-3.8ghz model or would it be better to just opt the $300-$400 or so and replace everything to get a dual core AMD cpu. (It's for gaming)

If its for gaming then the dual core would be much better then single. So if the budget is good I would upgrade everything. I have a P4 3.0ghz dell computer and it lags way more than my self built which has a dual core AMD in it.

yeah i was trying to budget it just for the sake of getting a better graphics card but this mobo is sort of crappy now. The AMD board im looking at also has built in WLAN and SLI. Look like i'm going to have to wait until christmas lolol.........great.

Hey but it would be worth it to wait till christmas. :) Trust me dual core is worth it to wait, along with a good mobo. At least then maybe you will be able to play crysis. Looks like its a awesome game.
What mobo is it that you are looking at?

How come you're going for an AM2 system? A Core 2 Duo one is much faster for about the same price. Anyways, if you still want to go for an AM2 system, I recommend this CPU and this HSF for it. As for the mobo, I recommend this instead of the 590 SLI one. The main difference is that the 570 has SLI x8+x8 while the 590 has SLI x16+x16, which doesn't make much difference in performance.

However, if you want to switch to Core 2 Duo, which will be the best thing to do IMO, get this CPU and this motherboard. The mobo supports DDR2, DDR3, the upcoming Penryn CPUs from Intel and Crossfire as well. It's very feature packed and has a lot of OCing headroom.

The reason i was going amd is because i was referred to it by a number of different people saying that AMD is cheaper and higher quality, but if you think the core 2 duo is what I should use theni would probably choose that considering the cost will be less for me (I already have LGA 775 tower cooler)

I'm really liking the new pricing on the AMD spec though. with the recommendation on that $90 mobo between the $170 one i want, the only difference i see is that chipset. Also might change the cpu to a 64X2 6000 for $150.

The P35 mobo will allow for a lot of upgradeability while the AM2 one might not, depending on whether or not a BIOS upgrade would allow you to use a Phenom CPU in that mobo. But you definitely won't be able to use DDR3 in that mobo. Core 2 Duos perform much faster than anything from AMD that is out right now, and they overclock very easily too, even with the stock HSF. The lowest end Core 2 Duo can match\beat an FX-62 when overclocked, so bear that in mind when you make your choice. If you're looking for a cheaper mobo than the P5K, this one is perfect with the rebate bringing the price below $100.

alright following your advice i've been looking into the intel a little more. I want a board with crossfire support, does the mobo need to specifically have "crossfire support" listed or will andy mobo with 2 pci e x16 slots work with crossfire (if you use a bridge or something) as long as i'm on the crossfire if it's not to much trouble i was going to get a pair of new ATI cards for crossfire (my current board is also crossfire supported, i also don't see any good high end dx10 ati cards in the $280-$390 price range) these two look similar, can't really tell since everything isn't listed. which one looks better. (i'm leaning for the saphire)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161098

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102703

Again, the HD 2600 series are rubbish for gaming. For your price range, this card is perfect. However, I'd pick an 8800GT. It runs cooler than the HD 2900PRO, sucks less power and delivers much better performance (beating the 8800GTS 640MB) for $250.
Also, all Intel 975X-based and P35-based motherboards will offer Crossfire support, as will ones with an ATI Xpress northbridge. Most Crossfire boards are branded as such, except the Intel ones. But of course, SLI motherboards won't support Crossfire. :)
I'd still recommend the P5K, but if you can't afford it, the IP35 I linked you to in my previous post is the next best choice.

Wow! Thanks rage you've been a real help, that gpu was sold out at newegg! ok hopefully one more question. Using the graphics card you recommended me (2900PRO) which motherboard do you think i should buy, and which cpu (the same one still right). Hopefully these will be my final choices!

P.S. in what order should i buy the parts? gpu first then upgrade the mobo/cpu or the otehr way around?

PSS! the specs on that hd2900pro are insane! 1gb memory, 512-bit, 320 steam processors, gddr4! and its all for that price?! seriously is there a catch to that because i've seen other cards half those specs for $50 more.

My motherboard and CPU recommendations remain the same. IMO, upgrade the GPU first, since it'll boost game performance a lot more by itself than the new CPU will. Then later, you can upgrade the CPU. However, bear in mind that the HD 2900PRO sucks a lot of power, so you'd need a beefy PSU for it. I'd recommend this one. As for the price, the HD 2900PRO is basically an underclocked HD 2900XT, and the price was reduced so that the number of HD 2900XTs in the market could be reduced as fast as possible to make room for the next high-end ATI GPUs.

single core is far from obsolete, and there are millions of applications for single core chips. But for standard computing, multi core is now more in vogue. IT really depends on what you intend on using your system for. If all you do is surf, light game, and general office work, single core is more than enough. If you multi-task, video edit, heavy game, then multi core is the way to go.

Alright thanks! both replies are extremely helpful for my decisions, looks like i won't need to upgrade to core 2 yet (i think the only game i want that even supports dual core is crysis, not even out) and as for the psu unit i have a 600w so i should be good to go for the hd 2900 pro.
Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back