Slow computer after RAM upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

rafaman

hey guys

hope u can help me on this one.. I have an Acer travelmate 4672, Core Duo 1,66, 80 gb hard drive and untill last week 1,5 gb RAM (PC2 4200). And I'm running windows XP SP2

So last week I upgraded the memory, so I now have 1x2gb 667 Mhz RAM, before I had 1x1gb and 1x512mb, both 533 mhz.

I don't know if the RAM upgrade has anything to do with my problem, but it seems like it started after the upgrade.

One problem is that it takes up to 5-6 minutes to shut down. Some times when I push the power button (which I have configured as to hibernate) it takes a few minutes before anything happens. When I shut down windows the blue screen saying thad windows is shutting down, stays for at long time, before eventually shutting down.

I've read a few posts on this forum and others, that this could be because windows is deleting the page file, and I checked the registry key that should have the value 0, so the page file isn't deleted at shutdown. The value was 0, so it seems to me that the page file isn't being deleted.

Other thing, which I again don't know if it can be related to the RAM upgrade, is that I windows hangs every time I try to extract files from a zip og rar archive. I've tried unistalling WinRAR and used Bitzipper, to try another program, but it's still the same. When it happens, the explorer window which I was trying to extract the files to (drag and drop) hangs, and I can't terminate the explorer.exe process via task manager. I have to restart windows to get things working normal again.

One solution would be to format the computer and start with a fresh install, but I just formattet for a month ago. I'm running AVG antivirus, Zone Alarm firewall and I've run AdAware and Spybot S&D to clean, but it didn't find anything.

If you have any ideas, please post them, I would be very grateful to solve this without having to format the hard drive.

Rafaman

it was set to custom but I had just changed it to system managed, before you replied. Now I'm going to reboot and check if it helps..

Hi Rafaman - have you tried taking the new memory module out?
Note also that memory will always default to the speed of the slowest module so if your new module is slower that the original this may be what has happened. If the memory is not compatible you will also get this sort of problem. Try it without!

it was actually my plan in the weekend to try and put the original RAM back and see what happens. The RAM i bought was the one kingstone recommended to this machine on their website, so it should be compatible. And I only got 1x2gb now, so there's not a question about slower RAM slowing things down.

yes I'll do that in the weekend.. you'll hear from me again if not that solves the problem.

thanks for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back