Slow Computer and Mouse Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Graham_s

Hi, I realy need some help here, not sure if this is the right category, because I dont really know the cause of the problem, hence me asking for help...
Right, well over the past few weeks my computer suddenly got slow and started getting slower and slower. The mouse now freezes a lot, but I can still see where the cursor is moving to, like if I move the mouse over links, they highlight, btu the mouse physically does not move on screen.

I have following spec:

Pentium IV 3.0GHz,
1GB RAM,
256MB Nvidia 6800
XP SP2

I have done the following things to resolve (none with any effect):
CCleaner (run all the cleaning procedures)
Perfectdisk 8.0 (offline and normal defrag)
Spybot SD
SpywareBlaster
Ad Aware SE
AVG
Windows Disk Cleanup
System Restore
Updated/restored previous graphics drivers
... and I trawled the net for sorting out mouse problems but nothing worked...

PLEASE HELP!!!!

Thanks

Graham

Fragrant Coit said:
Can you get the Task Manager up - Ctrl/Alt/Del - and see if any Processes are using a lot of resources.
forgot to mention ive done that too (ive done so much that I am losing track of what I have done) and didnt help at all. also gone into msconfig and done the relevant things. nothing.

Fragrant Coit said:
So, is it mostly the Cursor playing up, or is the PC itself S L O W?

Still slow in Safe Mode?

I assume you are running XP, try this tool and see if there's any hidden processes hogging resources:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/processesandthreads/processexplorer.mspx

Ok thanks for that I will give it a go. No the mouse is freezing as well as the computer being slow. And yea, I am on XP SP2 Haven't tried safe mode, as I wasnt sure how that would help. I will try and let you know what happens. Also just running that program, not sure if its having any effect yet, but I will let you know about that too. Thanks for your help. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated too though, so if you have any more, or if anyone else has any, please say so! :)

OK I killed all processes that were not vital (except some programs to see if it was still running slow) and its still a bit slow, but its manageable now. can anyone give a diagnosis from this? I haven't tried safe mode yet...

This may sound silly, but have you tried another mouse?

Did it run properly in Safe Mode {Press F8 after the POST [bios] Screen}

Fragrant Coit said:
This may sound silly, but have you tried another mouse?

Did it run properly in Safe Mode {Press F8 after the POST [bios] Screen}

same in safe mode, and different mouses do the same thing. tried battery changing too. basically, whenever windows thinks, like loading a new tab in firefox or opening a program, the mouse freezes. keep scanning my computer and still no obvious problems...

Might be time to test some hardware...

Ram or HDD most likely culprits, Download & make a bootable Floppy or CD of the Hard Drive Diagnostic from whatever HDD you have - ie Seagate, Western Digital, and download Memtest http://www.memtest86.com/ & make a floppy or CD for that.

Boot from the Hard Drive one, run the short test, if it passes, run the long, if it passes, HDD is OK. {if it fails either, it's on it's way out - back up anything you need straight away!}

Then boot from Memtest and let it go for a couple of hours - if it finds errors, the RAM is suss. If you have more than 1 stick and are getting errors, remove one, run the test again to see if that's the bad one and so on.

Fragrant Coit said:
Might be time to test some hardware...

Ram or HDD most likely culprits, Download & make a bootable Floppy or CD of the Hard Drive Diagnostic from whatever HDD you have - ie Seagate, Western Digital, and download Memtest http://www.memtest86.com/ & make a floppy or CD for that.

Boot from the Hard Drive one, run the short test, if it passes, run the long, if it passes, HDD is OK. {if it fails either, it's on it's way out - back up anything you need straight away!}

Then boot from Memtest and let it go for a couple of hours - if it finds errors, the RAM is suss. If you have more than 1 stick and are getting errors, remove one, run the test again to see if that's the bad one and so on.

ok thanks very much for your help! I'm not that great when it comes to hardware but I will see how I go...

I am going to do them memtest one first because I don't have a boot one for my computer. I only have 1 ram stick (was considering getting another one) so what happens if i get errors on the RAM test?

Fragrant Coit said:
Basically, the RAM is buggered. It's off to the local PC shop for some new stuff {unless it'd be under warranty - which isn't very long as people Overvolt etc}.

What sort of PC is it?

As for the HDD Diagnostic, it's a tool like Memtest. What HDD you got? Here's links for Seagate and W.Digital:
http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/seatools/

http://support.wdc.com/download/

I tihnk the internal HDD is Maxtor. will see if I can find the boot for that. Ok, should still be under warranty. hope the RAM isn't ballsed. thats the last thing I need right now...

The Floppy one - probably easiest - is an .exe that when run in Windows will prompt for a Floppy and write the diagnostic to it. {this applies to Memtest and the HDD one}. All you need to do is make sure it's set to boot from floppy 1st in the BIOS.

If you are making a CD, use Nero to "Burn Image to CD", or whatever your version calls it. If you just burn the .ISO to CD, it won't be bootable!

Then, set 1st boot device in BIOS to CD.

When you start the PC with your Floppy or CD, it should boot from it in DOS. Memtest will just start running, the Hard Drive one will give you some options, like run a short test, long test etc. Run the short one 1st, if it passes, run the long one. If it fails, time for Backing up DATA and getting a new HDD.

good luck!
Once you've done it once, it's easy.

ok im still being a complete n00b, I cant find any boot for a maxtor v160e0 HDD.
also, the memtest that I downloaded only has a "BOOT.CAB" and "MEMTEST.IMG" in the iso file. wish I was good with computers. sorry for all the hassle :( just want my computer to work again :(

Cinders said:
This will get you Memtest86+ for a floppy. You currently have an ISO of memtest which is used for burning CDs.

Here is the link to your hard drive checking utility page. Seagate bought Maxtor a while back and they now provide service for Maxtor drives.

I'm surprised nobody has suggested downloading and installing HijackThis and then attaching the log to this post.

ok thanks very much, I have bought more RAM anyway, as I was planning on buying an upgrade, so maybe the problem will be solved when i wack it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back