Slow Geforce4 performance?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all.

Being new to this forum and not very technically minded I am seeking a bit of help and advice. I have purchased the Creative 3D geforce 4 ti4400 but i seem to be getting rather poor performance from it.

My system specs are as follows.

Win98
Athlon 1ghz cpu
328 meg ram
Direct X 8.1
Latest detonator drivers

When I say poor perfromance I mean games such as Operation Flashpoint and Neverwinter Nights are running poorly. On Ureal Tournament I get fps of about 100 where I have heard of people getting 250+. Am I being a bit dull here? Could it be my operating system or something?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Wazzer

Even by beating your card with a baseball bat, you will never get 250 fps out of UnrealTournament.

What card did you have prior to this one ? Did you uninstall the previous video drivers ? What kind of performance were you getting with the previous card ?

Check out the card's settings ( FSAA, Anisotropic Filtering, etc ).

Check out the task manager to see if you have many apps running in the background. You might wanna check out how many apps you have at your system startup.

Have you installed the latest 4 in 1s ( I'm guessing you have a Via Chipset ) ? Is the CPU well cooled ? Is your card well ventilated ?

Yeah, there can be many other variables for your slow video card performance. It may be worth a format and reload if you were running a non-Nvidia card before.

How can you not be happy with 100FPS??? And 250FPS is absolutely ridiculous and I believe unattainable until I see it with my own eyes.

Its proven humans can't tell the difference over about 60-70FPS anyways, so there is no need to complain. I have a GeForce 2 Pro, and would love to have 100FPS, so consider yourself lucky you have such high FPS. As the others have said, it could be any number of options wrong with your comp that is "slowing" down your graphics card.

Enjoy your new G4, although I don't really know if Creative is a high roller yet in the graphics department, so this could be an issue.

Originally posted by SuperCheetah
How can you not be happy with 100FPS??? And 250FPS is absolutely ridiculous and I believe unattainable until I see it with my own eyes.

Its proven humans can't tell the difference over about 60-70FPS anyways, so there is no need to complain. I have a GeForce 2 Pro, and would love to have 100FPS, so consider yourself lucky you have such high FPS. As the others have said, it could be any number of options wrong with your comp that is "slowing" down your graphics card.

Enjoy your new G4, although I don't really know if Creative is a high roller yet in the graphics department, so this could be an issue.

My thoughts exactly. I didn't want to say anything because some people are very proud(maybe too proud) of their frame rates in games. The only real reason for extremely high fps is to boast about it to your friends.

WazzerB, What do you mean by "running poorly"? Are they hanging or slowing down or something? Or are you benchmarking them and getting "low" numbers?

**I have a friend who loved his rig and was very happy with all his games until he ran some benchmarks, now he never plays any games, he just tweaks settings, changes hardware and runs tests to see how good his numbers can get. **

Sorry to butt in, but I noticed WazzerB has a similar setup to my machine.

What I found was that the CPU tends to bottleneck performance. In Jedi Knight 2 for example, I have about 60~FPS in an empty room. If I add a few bots frame rate falls about 5FPS per bot (without them standing in my face). This holds true even if I drop all settings to make it look like Quake 2.

Just my $0.02

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back