Slow Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

marygg

I've been working through the preliminary removal steps. But when I go into safe mode the desktop does not show some of the programs I have downloaded. (The safemode desktop is in really big text and I can't change that. Don't know if this is related.)

The panda scan was negative. Enclosed are the 3 scans. I also changed the curser from the spaceship to the arrow.

FYI: spyware/adware/viruses are not the only reasons for a slow computer. The user should first disable all programs on the startup tab in msconfig except the anti-virus program, firewall and touch pad process on laptop.

Additionally, disc clean-up should be run, followed by the Error Check with both scan and fix boxes checked.

Poor maintenance and/or too many programs starting at boot and running in the background should first be explored to improve performance.

The logs are not showing any malware but there are a few items to clean up.

Open HijackThis and select "Do a system scan only"
Place a check mark next to:

O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {0BF43445-2F28-4351-9252-17FE6E806AA0} - (no file)
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\msjava.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\msjava.dll

Close all windows and select "Fix checked"

javaicon.jpg
Your Java is out of date
Older versions have vulnerabilities that malware can use to infect your system. It is possible that you may be running Java code in your applications that absolutely require a specific version of the JRE to run. Please follow these steps to remove older version of Java components and update

Updating Java:
* Go to Start > Control Panel double-click on Add/Remove programs and remove all older versions of Java.
* Check for any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name. (also look for MS Java)
** The latest version is Java 6 Update 3. Remove all other entries.
* Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.
* Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each of the Java versions.
* Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.

* Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6
* Click the Free Java Download button.
* Click the Download Now button.
* When the Software Installation dialog box opens. Click on the Install Now button.
* Follow the prompts to complete installation.

Are you still having any problems?

No, I did not say that, nor did I mean that. I do not review the hijack logs for malware.

On some occasions, I have looked at the logs and seen a great deal of processes starting at boot and running in the background. Numerous time, I took my time to review each of those entries, advising the user to take it off startup, giving the description of what it did.

In NO occasion did anyone ever come back and indicate they had viewed or used this information or made any comment to me. So I don't do that on my own anymore- but I did give you a gentle push!

Thank you howard and evilfantasy and bobbye very much. It is now running pretty well. The reason I changed the icon from the spaceship is because several months ago I wanted that spaceship and downloaded it from a free site. It crashed my computer so I had to clean my hdd as a slave on my backup computer. I downloaded from a safe sight. Again thank you so much. Problem solved.

Screensaver type downloads are riddled with spyware and even trojans. It's best to be very careful when downloading them.

Safe surfing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back