Slow modem speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

danai

Hello,

My comp crashed. Had the hard drive changed and a CD-R added. I :blackeye: was trying to reconnect to the internet with a dial-up connection but could not get a speed greater than 31.2Kbps. (Before changing the hard drive, I could get up to 50.0). If I use my laptop and connect it to the phone line, I get the 50 Kbps speed. Any suggestions?

Thank you,
Danai

I would suggest updating the modem drivers.
Also, if you go into the phone and modem options in the control panel, you can tweak the modem and make sure that it is running at its maximum speed. sometimes its not.

Thank you for the reply. I checked in the modem settings and cannot find anything else that can be taken any higher. I thought about the drivers but have no clue how to go about updating them. ???? suggestions?

thanks!
danai

dial up connections depend on a lot of factors, most of them external to your computer. Paticularly during rush hour and peak times, connection speed can slow down.

You can download TCP optimizer from www.pcworld.com to maximize your throughput.

Open your box (if you are allowed to) and the modem's manufacturer and model number will be on the modem somewhere, or you can check your computer's literature and it will be in there as well. From there, go online to the manufacturer's website and navigate to the downlad section. You should be able to find the proper driver for you computer's Operating System and modem model. Download it, and then go through windows driver update and select where you downloaded the driver. This is a real rough crash course, but it should do what you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back