Slow Right Click Menu

Status
Not open for further replies.

mopar man

I am running XP Home SP2, and whenever I right click on my desktop, it takes it about 2 seconds to bring it up.

The comp is a Dell Dimension 2400 with 1GB of ram and FX 5200 Graphics card. I don't believe it should be doing this, and if you have a fix for it, I would appreciate it.

Do you have any antivirus, antispyware, or other security software running at the time?
You are correct that it should not be doing this, but if it is the Dell mouse that came with the machine, try any other borrowed mouse... Dell has had a lot of trouble with the PS/2 mouse that came with their budget units. Then if that works, get yourself a decent Logitech mouse at Wal-Mart for $10... or continue to run the used one.

I had AVG running, so I went ahead and shut it off to check it out, and it still does it. I have a Microsoft Intellipoint(I think?) thats a laser, but when I click it shows the hourglass for that 2 seconds.

Thanks in advance.

?

Is this the only place ? Do you mean an open area for propertys ?
Is it slow when you right click mine or your name in this post ?
Or anywhere in this message unused area. ?

Problems when you right-click an empty area in the Desktop?
If you have a problem when you right-click on a blank area on the Desktop, then you need to inspect the handlers in this registry key. (ShellExView v1.14 and later versions enumerate the items from this location)

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT \ Directory \ Background \ shellex \ ContextMenuHandlers

Ok, so that means I have to do what? I'm sorry, but that confused me.

Has it always been like this ?

If it`s only just begun the program you installed most recently
has put an entry in the right click menu.

Either uninstall that program and get a substitute that
isn`t so badly written,or go into regedit -

Start/Run/type regedit/click OK

then click on HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT then Directory/Background etc...

til you get to context menu handlers.Be sure to find that exact key

One of the sub keys under that key is the problem entry in your right click menu.

Click on the most likely,then in the right pane delete that key,by right clicking

and selecting delete.You should really back it up(export) first.Just in case.

It has been doing this since I upgraded my computer I believe, and it used to have 256MB ram, and Integrated Graphics, but I am not sure if it did it back then or not.
You see, I'm not to good at this stuff, so I'm kind of paranoid, so I am afraid to get rid of any even backing up the files. When I get to the Context Menu Handlers, it brings up the following:

00nView
igfxcui
InCDMenu
New
NvCplDesktopContext

Keep in mind that these are the folder names (of course). Which ones could be causeing problems?

It has the NView properties, etc. for the Nvidia stuff. Do I really need that stuff? It's already in the toolbar, so does it matter?

Thanks.

At that place in the registry, right click on the shellex heading and click export and save that to a folder you create under My Documents (call it Regkey).

Then, delete the igfxcui and 00nView keys and reboot.

If something is amiss, you simply open the regkey folder and double click on the key you saved and it will reinstall itself.

It worked! I no longer have a delay, and it is only missing one nVidia thing that was kind of useless considering I have everything I need in the toolbar. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back