Slow SATA problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed there are several other similar problems, but solutions offered there couldn't help me.

My seagate baracuda 7200.9 SATA 300-GB Hard Drive labeled ST3300622AS has an extreme slowlines problem :mad:

I even used a stopwatch to measure the transfer rate and it was as slow as shown by HDTach at reading and writing data.

I have an older motherboard ASRock K8UpgradeVM800, with an AMD Athlon64 2800+, 512 RAM, and another disk, older PATA Maxtor. WinXP on the older disk. This motherboard supports only sata up to 150MBps so I had to put a jumper on the disk as instructed on official seagate website to limit his standard 300MBps.

Hopefully, someone knows what to do, cause I'm absolutley clueless why and how this happens.

not all motherboards run well with mixed ide/sata systems. This is especially true of older mobos. I've been advising against it for some time.

I dont think the problem is in the hardware, because a month ago, this disk worked as it was suposed to, but then windows went bananas and I had to format and reinstal.

Maybe the problem is in the IDE chanel settings? Feedback ASRock sent(I sent them a mail, describing my problem) diverted my attention to overusage of CPU during disk managment, so after some googling I found that chanel settings should be DMA, not PIO, because PIO uses much of CPU. And the disk is working in PIO, no matter what I do it wont go to DMA. I tried reseting the chanels, uninstaling, changing BIOS settings, changing registry values considering DMA and nothing helped.

So the next question is, how to change from PIO to DMA mode when nothing reasonable works? Could service pack 2 be a cause?

Please someone, help, or else I'll end up in a mental institution cause this problem is definitley driving me crazy...

Morg_497, how to change from PIO to DMA ,and service pack 2 is not the problem, but do not go to a mental institution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back