AMD 64 Winchester 3200+ 2ghz
MSI MS-7093 w/ realtek + ATI xpress 200 onboard
2x512 Kingston Value pc3200
2x256 Azenram pc3200
ATI Radeon x600 pro 128mb PCIe
Audigy 2 ZS
Seagate Barracuda 160gig SATA
Thermaltake 480w PSU
1 intake/2 exhaust + 1 PCI exhaust fan(s)

First off, hi everyone!

I built a pc about 2 months ago with a different power supply, it was a 300w. I was experiencing crashes constantly (5-10) during gfx/sound intensive games ie. Battlefield 2, Hl2, Swat 4, etc. The screen would go black as if the GPU died and I would hear a small 5 second loop of sound which would eventually turn into a screeching sound and would require a manual boot. It would happen in windows to but not very often. I can see from reading many forums that a lot of people are having similar problems. I bought a new PSU (the thermaltake) for my amd64 because I was told that, that kind of cpu requires a large amount of wattag. That never solved the problem, used memtest86 on my ram, no problem there, used SiSoft Sandra and Prime95 burn-in tests on my ram+cpu, no problems. Everything runs in the low 30's minimum activity. Except something called 'Remote 2' which is running at 120c on idle. I could not for the life of me figure it out, I thought it was my video card so I put a thermaltake crystal orb fan/sink on it, which made it room temp. I read somewhere that realtek onbaord audio chip can get quite hot for no reason, so I touched it and it was cold. I was looking around for something that I could feel heat off of, then I spotted this circular chip that was labled ATI IPX 400. I looked it up and found out that it was my SMbus chip, which controls everything going to and from my cpu (I think lol). I touched it and it was hotter than hell, I burnt my finger, no lie. I don't know how I am supposed to fix the smbus, should I put thermal paste on it and slap a sink on it? Or just RMA the board and get a new one, OR is it supposed to be THAT hot? Well if anyone has the same problem or knows a way that maybe I can fix this, I would greatly appreatiate it. If anyone needs pics or anything feel free to ask.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post!

Richy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back