smsse.exe missing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just reformatted my computer and reinstalled windows xp home. Now when Windows loads, it hangs for a second, and I get an error when the desktop finally pops up that says that it cannot find the file smsse.exe. I have seen on the internet that this is a virus, but how can this be true seeing as how i just erased the whole drive?

Also, every now and then i get a large message that pops up telling me that my computer is not safe, and that i need to go to some web site to downloads the patch. I am sure that this is not true, but i have not yet done anything that would give me spyware or a virus.

(By the way, I have no virus protection. I am going tomorrow to get the new norton 2005.)

smsse.exe is not an XP default executable..for Win Messenger Service..disable it in Services or go here http://www.blkviper.com and read up on Services..pay Close attention to Dependencies...run a fully updated AV for your trojan/virus.

Yeh..suites generally suck...i use AVG Pro and Sygate Pro...excellant apps and not bloated...;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back