Socket 940's expected lifetime

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyrusroe

I have a rather simple question that I haven't been able to find an answer to.
Will socket 940 eventually be able to use 65nm procs? I know that the new desktop/server sockets coming out will have it.

I ask because I'm about to spend a lot of money for a dual socket 940 workstation. I'm starting off with 2 single core's but will eventually get 2 dual cores when they lower in price further.

Or is the nm change the reason for the socket change? Something like that I wouldn't know.

No. For anything with more then one socket on the board, you can only use Opterons & Opterons are moving to another form-factor this year.

Only Athlon64s will be able to use the Socket-940 interface from there one & they will not be able to use it with more then one socket (even though each socket will be able to house more then one core).

It's not quite easy to comprehend, I know. ;)

SOCKET 940 is actually already dead ever since that amd makes opteron for the socket 939.

If you are looking to buy a new server, cosider buy those opteron amd64 socket 939 dual core. If you can wait till like later half of this year, then you can actually consider buy the new M2 socket.

Socket-940 wasn't dead ever since S939 Opterons came out, if you want more then one socket, you still need to get a Socket-940 motherboard with the proper CPUs so it's still very much alive.

It depends. If you're talking about the desktop AM2 socket (which has 940 pins & is meant for Athlon64s only), yes.

The current Socket-940 interface used on Opterons only might not be so lucky. Only time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back