Socket A upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwspony

I have an old Gateway Select 1000 PC with an AMD Athloon 1GHz socket A chip in it. I want to upgrade the chip to something better. Will any socket A AMD chip work? I think it is a 452 pin chip. The mobo is an MSI board but I can't find it on the MSI site. What do I need to look at in finding a compatible chip?

I know they aren't being made any more but I know I can get one off ebay that is faster then what I have now.

Yes, it is socket 462, I suggest you go on a trading forum like forums.anandtech.com and look in the for sale section for an Athlon XP.

the fastest CPU that mobo will take is an athlon 1.4 ghz
I used to own that computer.
That model has long been discontinued.

That computer works with SDRAM. If you want a new mobo, you will need new RAM. You'd better go with a newer machine, or do some CPU and RAM upgrades.

the chipset. It will take only Athlon processors, not Athlon XP processors.

The die on these processors is quite heavy. You can buy them cheaply off of e-bay. I sold my last one when I parted out my system.
Interesting enough, some of them can be overclocked quite fast- the bios on the gateway motherboard, however, won't allow you to.

not a prob. Still a 1.4 will be more than ample for average tasks. Don't expect to play newer games at high resolutions. I had an FX5500 card in my old Athlon at one time. It was a pretty decent rig until it got hit with a nasty surge from a lightening strike. The surge protector didn't protect it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back