Software available for direct hookup to friends pc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I frequently help my friends fix their computers. Is there any software/capability to be able to run a firewire/ethernet cable to their pc and access their computer. I'm sure there is software out there I am just not sure of it. All suggestions would be helpful. I am to the point where it would be easier with the amount of computers i work on, to hook up my laptop to access there stuff.

cat5 crossover cable will hook 2 pc's together. You don't need any extra software.
Are you wanting to access their shares? Or are you wanting to take control of their desktop? 2 very different things.

my fault on the posting twice. I'm a member on a few php/vb forums and they all want records in each "relating" category. I realize that cat5 is easy to connect with, i do network work here at work/home. I guess what i want is some freeware/shareware i can access their desktop with so i can do all the work remote from my pc. My family counts on me to do their computer fixes/work while i'm away. I need something simple so they dont have to install anything, i can control them from my end.

Thanks,

Hunter

Look for PCanywhere

the issue will be talking the remote system owner into configuring the firewall
for a desktop level access.

Thanks Jobeard! PCanywhere was my first choice, however my family has more than one computer, not including my brothers and sisters PCs. I guess what i need is a remote desktop that requires no software to be installed on their side, just their ip address and no firewall. That way i can work on their computers while they sit, watch, and dont touch anything.

you control which PC you connect to via the router at that remote site;
use port forwarding from the router to the specific LAN ip address.
the ports are documented in PCanywhere.

doing any/all remotes without intervention at the router is not possible!
as it's a router issue, not software or pc issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back