Software failing to read cpu temps correctly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok,
So i've just changed my cpu cooler and thermal paste from the ocz tempest to the zalman cnps 9500 nt with some nice smoooooth as5. Before my readings in Nvidia's "ntune" were 51/52c were all i got out of it, i tried "Everest" it reported the same, i then checked the readings in bios, this revealed my cpu was actually running at a much more believable 31c. I failed to realise it could have been a software problem.

Now that i've changed my cpu cooler, the software still reports the same 51/52c reading but the bios reports a more nicer figure of 25c...what's going on? is it a software problem? if it is what can i do about it? how come the bios reads a more believable figure? thank you for any help provided.

Sounds like the software to me. One logical explanation is that while your OS is loaded and lots of processes are running, your processor would probably be doing a lot more than it does while in the BIOS (when no OS is loaded). However, twice the temp is definately a big difference!

see that's what i thought, the cpu doesn't really do anything during bios but to double to temperature seems insane.

considering updating my bios, i've tried using two different monitoring bits of software...they were crap but one gave a better result than the other :s so confused as to what the issue is now. one gave 2 temperatures that weren't labelled both could be the reading im after. the second bit of software did show a cpu temp that could of been it...but again there was another label cpu that gave the 52c i've always had

May I ask why you are so concerned to constantly know your CPU temp?
Reason I ask is because, as a software programmer myself, i would recommend not installing any software that analyzes your CPU, unless specifically designed for your CPU (Like if intel made a utility for their chips, i would trust it then) Otherwise, there is no telling what or how the programmer is programming. And even if it does work, you don't know how correct it is, or what kind of load it's putting on your system or CPU. My brother, who is also a programmer, told be a few years ago never to use those programs unless it was written or approved by the manfucturer themself. He had a friend that used a 3rd party CPU program that did all kinds of "cool" stuff, and it fried his system. I'm not saying all the programs are bad, I'm just saying I can't be (or at least feel) 100% safe with any those programs installed.

my cpu temp always stay at 42* c when check with EVEREST Ultimate Edition (idle or under heavy gaming load) with brand name cooler stuffed inside a 2 year old steel case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back