Solved: Random rebooting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Running XP Pro. Computer reboots randomly. May be while using it or most often when idle. System Restore would not work until turned off and back on, but of course I lost all restore points.

Tried Spybot Seach&Destroy, Adware, ATF_Cleaner, AVG Anti-Spyware, SuperAntiSpyware, Panda Activescan. None found anything.

Attached is HJT log. I would really appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks
John

Hi john760 and welcome to techspot. =)

I've checked you HijackThis log and it appears to be mostly clean. Fix these entries though.

O9 - Extra button: Linked Images - {D8980DE8-9D4C-4fb0-8FB4-95B1FA4125AD} - C:\Program Files\IEimage\IEimage.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Linked Ima&ges - {D8980DE8-9D4C-4fb0-8FB4-95B1FA4125AD} - C:\Program Files\IEimage\IEimage.htm
O16 - DPF: {DBA230D1-8467-4e69-987E-5FAE815A3B45} -

I noticed an entry:
O4 - Startup: restart_vs.lnk = F:\Viewsonic.exe

Do you recognise this file or process, and why is something running from F:\ ?
Let me know in your next reply.

Your problem could be non-malware related.

Regards,
Your friendly momok =)

This thread is for the use of john760 only. Please don't post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Hey momok,
Thanks for the quick reply. F: is my DVD drive.
I "fixed" the items listed and have attached a new HJT log.

I really appreciate all and any help you can provide.

Thanks
John

Hi,

Your log is definitely clean.

I suspect your problem may not be malware related. However, please post a Combofix log (ComboFix can be downloaded from the link in my signature) in your next reply for me to check just in case.

Regards,
Your friendly momok =)

This thread is for the use of john760 only. Please don't post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Possibly not software/Virus/Malware

Hi John760,

I have had a quick look at your public profile and you don't seem to have given any info on your hardware. You might like to try START/Run/MSINFO32 and save the information from the program by Menu/File/Export to a text file (could be quite big - 5MB or so) and extract the hardware bits to attach to a reply.

Have you tried any hardware diagnostics? You may also find an error log in the machine if you can get into the BIOS menu at power on (normally press a key/combination during POST (Power on self test)) which may indicate an underlying problem.

Best wishes.

Hi John760,

You may also want to check the Event Viewer (Right-Click My Computer > Manage > System Tools > Event Viewer > [you may want to start with System]). Only to see if you can get info (if any) that may at least point you in the right direction.

Do you ever receive any type of message when the system boots up again?

So far its sounding like possible hardware issues. From the information given so far, I am wondering if it may be a faulty power supply or even the system board*.

* As stated in the article below: "Many problems thought to be caused by the system board are actually caused by another faulty component. Quality assurance testing has revealed many of the system boards returned for warranty replacement are not defective."

I have found an article online (Troubleshooting system board issues - Desktops) that you may want to take a look at as it has troubleshooting tips that may help narrow down the problem.

I do realize that it's an IBM site, but it could still be helpful.

Good Luck!

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Go and read this thread HERE and see if it helps you to identify the culprit. If it doesn`t, attach 5 or 6 of your latest minidumps into this thread.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

I`m pleased you found the culprit and thanks for letting us know.

I have now moved this thread to our Audi and Video forum and marked it solved.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back