Some questions.. help a noob out..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I bought this Dell 4600c like 4 months ago and I thought it was a nice computer (I was wrong).. Anyways I'm trying to get some new parts for it so I get better FPS in WoW.. I've been reading into Graphics Cards and I guess that AGP is the best you can get.. Can anyone explain why AGP is better then everything else? and how can I find out if this card would fit into my computer? http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=686471&Tab=5.. TY..
Also I want to get more RAM for my computer (512) and I was wondering what registered/unbuffered means.. also what Cas Latency, Support Voltage,
Bandwidth, & Organization do? If anyone takes the time to answer me I'd greatly appreciate it.. and TY to all who took the time to atleast read.

Posted by Dell:
POWERFUL PERFORMANCE - AFFORDABLE PRICE

The DellTM Dimension 4600 desktop gives users Intel® Pentium® 4 power, HT Technology, greater memory bandwidth, integrated networking and USB 2.0 support at an affordable price. Perfect for multimedia enthusiasts.

Ideal for those wanting the performance of the latest technology at an affordable price.

Processor: Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 processor with HT Technology up to 3.40 GHz with 800MHz front side bus provides impressive speed.

Operating System: Choice of Operating Systems:

* Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional
* Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition

Graphics: Integrated Intel® Extreme Graphics 2 or up to 128 MB DDR ATI® 9800 Pro graphics card.

Networking: Integrated Intel Pro 10/100 Ethernet.

Ports: USB 2.0 technology (8 ports - 2 front, 6 back).

Memory: 256 MB Dual Channel DDR SDRAM memory at 400MHz, upgradable to 2 GB or 256MB shared1 Dual Channel DDR at 400MHz, upgradable to 2 GB to fit your needs.

Storage: 30 GB to 250 GB hard drives to store all your files and data.
Looks like you have an AGP slot.
Open up your PC, look at the slots on the mobo. PCI-slots are normally white any your PC would probably have 3 of them.
If there is one about the middle of the board, on the right (or above) of the white PCI-slots (as you look inside), that is further recessed away from the edge, with probably a brown-ish colour, you are in luck, that's your AGP slot.
Look up the specifications of the mentioned ATI card at www.ati.com and get that or a comparable card with NVidia GPU. Look for its voltage and AGP=speed.

To get matching memory, go to www.crucial.com where they can tell you exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back