Some web pages not loading

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cannot load any microsoft web pages. In addition there is just one school website for my kids that I am having the same problem with. The following is the error message I get: http 400 - Bad Request Internet Explorer. I am running Internet Explorer 6.0
I have Norton Internet Security 2006, Windows 2000 Pro. I have just completed a live update with Norton, completed a full system scan successfully. I have also purchased Registry Mechanic 5.1, scanned, found and fixed 333 problems in the registry. I am still unable to load any Microsoft pages. The most frustrating thing is that I can't get to any of the Microsoft pages for updates and fixes. I can load any other page as long as it's not Microsoft and the one school website. I have tripple checked the allowed sites with Norton and everything that I see says that there are no restrictions placed on Microsoft. I have even tried to temporarily disabled Norton to try and access Microsoft.com, but nothing I do is working. Oddly enough, is a message a couple of times has appeared in my taskbar from Microsoft informing me that I have received and automatic update and install. Can anyone provide me with a step by step fix. I have posted this from my primary computer.
Thanks to All

First, MS Updates can ONLY be downloaded via the IE browser.
You also need to be certified by the WGA Client, but if that's not already done,
accessing updates.microsoft.com/ will do that as the first step.

Ok, you have Norton; guess it's the AV product.

1) make sure you have a firewall running
2) you need Spywareblaster to control bad ActiveX programs
Spyware Blaster @ http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/
3) Spybot S&D will help you control startup programs
@ http://www.spybot.info/en/index.html
4) AVG Free is a good alternative to Norton.
@ www.grisoft.com/

flush your browser cache and cookies
then flush your DNS run->cmd /k ipconfig /flushdns

Xeek said:
Maybe your hosts file is blocking certain sites.
on XP, this file is located
\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
and MUST have at least one line 127.0.0.1 localhost

it will be in the same directory as the following files:
networks, protocol, services, lmhost.sam, and hosts

Hello Jobeard. I have downloaded and run your suggested spyware blaster and spybot S & D. I have flushed the browser cache and cookies, the problem remains. No Microsoft web pages can be accessed. Any further instructions or suggestions?

Thanks

To all who read this. Would I be better off at this stage to format the hard drive and re-install everything?
I have even tried to reinstall Internet Explorer with the original CD, the result was the same, some web pages not able to load. Keep in mind that the operating system that this problem is occurring on is Windows 2000 Pro.
Thanks
St.James Town

personally, reformat+reload would be my last choice, especially if there's precious
content on your system, eg family pictures, iTunes library ...

follow this link and append the appropriate log files -- looks like your browser
or DNS settings have been hijacked

I lost my post again 'cause of the reset here - anyway, Tools, advanced, check/uncheck http1.1 depending on the present status and try again to get to the MS Update site.

A temporary work around.... sort of.

I have purchased Registry mechanic 5.1. Installed and ran the software, but the problem is still there.

I have uninstalled Norton Internet Security 2006 and reinstalled it, the problem is still there.

I have done a live update and full system scan multiple times with Norton, but the problem is still there.

I have downloaded, installed and ran spybot S & D and spyware blaster. Though problems were discovered and removed, the problem is still there.

I have downloaded and installed Netscape 8.0. I ran their security software, it found problems, fixed them and only now, through Netscape can I access all the sites I could not access earlier through Internet Explorer 6.0.

When I load Internet Explorer, I still can’t load any Microsoft pages and some other sites.

I tried to uninstall IE but it’s not showing up in the Add/Remove software item list. When I look in the C:programs/Internet Explorer/ Uninstall folder for W2kexcp.exe /u I see that it’s NOT there, so I can’t see any way of uninstalling IE from the computer.

Have you any suggestions on how to fix the IE access problem or uninstalling it from the computer completely.

Remember, that the computer cannot access any Microsoft pages on the internet from Internet Explorer.

I can however, access Microsoft web pages and others from Netscape.

Unfortunately when I try to download updates from Microsoft while in Netscape I am informed that I basically need to be downloading them from within Internet Explorer, so the problem remains only in Internet Explorer.

I will try posted suggestions and let you know how it turns out.
Thanks to all.

Answer for XP. Problem is in Win 2000 Pro

Hello CCT.
It looks like the threads you sent deal with the problem on a system running Win XP.
The problem machine is running Win 2000 Pro.
Does it make that much of a difference or would the procedure be different?

St. James Town

I have to confess, I missed that opart completely because there are so few search blips under the problem for 2000.

However, there are MANY similatirities between 2000 and XP noted throughout the web regarding problems and solutions.

Given the problem, trying can't do more than hurt.

You should ALWAYS have a routine for copying off imnportant files (text, pictures, e-mail, favourites, etc) that you follow.

Once a month if you don't surf a lot, every week if you are a net cruiser and sometimes go to naughty sites.

If yopu do, then experimenting with a 'fix' between 200 and XP can't do more than make you re-install.

Gads! I have done that 10 times in 2 1/2 years just experimenting and playing around.

That's how you learn.

:)

2000 vs Xp fix

Hello CCT.

I have read and understood your reply. I will backup what is important and try as you have posted earlier.

Regards

St. James Town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back