someone tell me if i'm missing something??

Status
Not open for further replies.

stantheman

So I read the stuff all you guys are sayin and what i gather is this. I can't run both mey ati video cards at the same time to increase my benchmark score because my motherboard chipset it the nividia gforce4, but if I get a motherboard with a crossfire chipset then I can actually run both cards together for one application? My processor is a 939 pinset so is there any opinions on which crossfire board would be the best to purchase without having any later regrets?

if you can offer help at all please reply?

If you're wanting to run the ATI cards instead of the GEFORCE cards, then yes, the crossfire board is the logical option. Just make sure that your power supply is sufficient to handle the cards. Remember, in SLI (GEFORCE) or crossfire (ATI), running both cards really taxes the power supply. Jump to AT LEAST a 450 watt psu with dual rail technology.

Try this

Open your Catalyst Control Panel.
In seach type in crossfire.
Heres part of it,I have the 9600 XT.

Use the CrossFire™ to combine the power and performance of two or more Visual Processing Units to drive a single display. Harness the power of a dual PCI Express® based computer to deliver up to twice the VPU performance. when using 3D graphics applications.

The CrossFire™ aspect requires the following to be present:

a motherboard with two X16 PCI Express® slots
a CrossFire™ Edition Series graphics card
The Radeon® X850 CrossFire™ Edition can be paired with any standard Radeon® X850-based graphics card or
The Radeon® X800 CrossFire™ Edition can be paired with any standard Radeon® X800-based graphics card.
An interconnect cable, supplied with the CrossFire™ Series graphics card, connecting the two cards to a single monitor.

so then what you guys are telling me is that there is no way to combine my two cards at all with my current motherboard?
it is an asus a85nx and i just got it recently so i dont really wana go out and buy a new board if i dont have to?

if there is a way and someone knows how please fill me in on the details?

ATI said it all

Read your Catalyst control Panel.I posted part of it.
Does your motherboard qualify ? If not,theres your answer.:(
Go for it if you understand it's use and will benefit from it.
It's big BUCKS.
This tells you how.It's well explained.
You do have the Catalyst Control Panel Installed ? :confused:
Right click the desktop.

hey! sorry my net was down..... anyway yes i heave catalyst control center but it does not have a crossfire option in there any where?

I also read that there is a overdrive option but i cant see it in there either?

also how do i check to see if my motherboard qualifies? I've gotta be missin somthing somewhere? Also what is SLI? If that is the equivalent to crossfire how do i enable it?

C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\help\wwhelp\wwhimpl\js\html\wwhelp.htm

Type crossfire in Catalyst search if this doesn't work.This is whereit took me.
Besides i've explained enough already.

The CrossFire™ aspect requires the following to be present:

a motherboard with two X16 PCI Express® slots

ok, so if anyone has any useful information i would really appreciate it! first i'm sure i mentioned that my motherboard is an asus a85nx with the nividia gforce 4 chipset so there is no crosfire option! second i asked what SLI is because i have not seen that in my bios or anywhere else for that matter except in chat forums? and 3rd PLEASE ONLY REPLY IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT AND DONT LEAVE LINKS UNLESS THEY ARE CORRECT!

THANK YOU!

You said it.

yes i heave catalyst control center but it does not have a crossfire option in there any where?
ATI Catalyst is "ATI", so why did you say the above and now say you have NVidea ?
It's not an option,it's a help answer.
:confused:
You have enought information to decide.2 PCI Express slots are needed.

SLI is a trademark of NVIDIA. You can only run NVIDIA cards in a SLI configuration. There is a special sleeve that attaches to both cards when they are configured in SLI. Also, both cards MUST be identical from the same manufacturer, at the same clock speed and onboard RAM.

ok thanks thats some of what i wanna hear but i could use more info too, like i have 2 pci express slots but one i just a small 4x so even if i switched to nividia cards would you still need the same requirments ie. two 16x slots and identical cards?

so basically the only viable thing to do is get a crossfire mother board?
is there any flaws with them so i can determine wich one would be best for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back