Sone-age POST

Status
Not open for further replies.

hewybo

Recently replaced mobo in a friend's system. Installed an ASUS P4V8X-MX, which is the same one I installed on my Mom's. This one, however, takes 20 minutes (OK, but a LONG time) to complete the POST. Have the latest necessary BIOS update installed. Any ideas to speed it up? I'm stuck! :confused:

Have you tried doing a Windows repair as per this thread HERE?

I`m assuming you used the same hard drive from the previous mobo. If that`s the case, the hard drive will still have the old chipset drivers for the old mobo and this could be causing the problem.

If a Windows repair doesn`t work, then you may have to consider doing a reformat and reinstall.

You should also check for any short circuits between the mobo and case.

Regards Howard :)

No luck

Installed new hard drive, did clean Windows Home install, reinstalled chipset drivers, latest available BIOS, tried different, known good, RAM stick.

On POST, BIOS reads memory immediately, then 15-40 sec. pause, recognizes HDD, CD-ROM; 15-40 sec. pause, runs through the rest of the POST, then.........25-50 second pause before Windows screen shows up.

Everything works, but that is incredibly slow. Could the CMOS chip be faulty? the mobo has been installed only a month.

Thanks-- :blackeye: :hotbounce

Guess so-

howard_hopkinso said:
Ah, I see what you mean now.

It does sound like a faulty mobo. RMA it and try another one.

Regards Howard :)

Yeah- hate to have her system down again, but Newegg ships quickly, so I guess that's the option.

As usual- Thanks, Howard! :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back