SONY VAIO tweaker -- Atlanta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

I bought a SONY VAIO desktop in 2001 or 2002 that came bundled with Windows XP. The HW build includes an ASUS TU-(Tualatin) something system board and an Intel Celeron 1.3 Ghz chip.

Everything was working fine until I had the nerve to wipe the hard drive clean to speed up performance. I had too many programs on the 40 GB Maxtor and they were bringing things to a crawl.

After formatting the drive and installing a brand new Windows XP PRO, the power supply FAN and the CPU fan came on and stayed on.

I upgraded the Award BIOS ($49.95 from esupport.com!) and still had the same problem.

I bought a new ANTEC ATX power supply that is just whisper quiet. Wow.

Sadly, the CPU fan is on and stays on as soon as you apply power. Plus I always get routed to the BIOS screen to check something about Power Management but I don't see anything.

This tells me that there is a POST, CMOS, BIOS issue somewhere. However, my PC tech days are 10 years behind me so I am mainly here looking for a way to clear my CMOS and fiddle with BIOS.

I am also subscribing to the O'Reilly SAFARI bookshelf to get access to the Mueller book (upgrading and repairing PCs) which us technicians swore by a decade ago.

So that's it, a family man on a budget with some skills but in need of help.

Samuel

To clear the CMOS, remove the lithium battery out of the motherboard and wait a few minutes. The only thing with your BIOS is that sony usually locks it up so you can't really mess with it to overclock or anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back