Sony's 'PS4 Remote Play' arrives on iOS, lets you play PS4 games on your iPhone or iPad

Polycount

Staff

Game streaming is beginning to look like a fairly viable alternative to traditional console or PC gaming for those with tighter budgets.

While the tech still isn't perfect, Google's Project Stream has already proved that high-fidelity, low-latency gaming is possible with nothing more than a halfway-decent internet connection.

Even Sony already has PlayStation Now -- its own game streaming service -- but today, the company has decided to branch out a bit more. Whereas PlayStation Now requires a computer to function, the company's new PS4 Remote Play app enables users to play their PS4 games on their iPhone or iPad.

Obviously, Remote Play is not the ideal way to play PS4 titles. Unless you have a third-party mobile controller, you're going to have to rely on the app's on-screen PS4 button equivalents, which take up quite a bit of space and don't seem all that intuitive to use.

Regardless, for slower-paced games where rapid responses aren't the difference between life and death, Remote Play could be a fun way to take your games with you from place to place; provided you have a solid internet connection (playing over cellular data is reportedly not supported).

If your connection is a bit spotty, you're not totally out of luck. According to Ars Technica, Remote Play features 360p, 540p, and 720p quality options for precisely that reason.

If you want to try out Remote Play for yourself, just update your PS4 and snag the app itself from the iOS App Store. It's unclear whether or not Android support will arrive anytime soon.

Image courtesy Ars Technica, Bloomberg via Ghetty Images

Permalink to story.

This seems awefully useless IMO and a real waste of resources.

Meanwhile I have a X900F TV that has been running broken firmware since november with no fix/update in sight...

IMO Sony has great hardware ambitions but lacks the software engineering to back them up consistently.

Ah, got an issue with it not turning on your Amp / sound bar by any chance?

At home it works perfect with my sonos beam. At work it will not turn on our two yamaha receivers.

At home the youtubeTV app now drops about 5% of it frames. Its a stuttering mess now. Im instead using a $30 roku for seamless streaming playback

Sony phones and tablets have supported this feature for a few years, they also let you bluetooth a controller to your phone. You really need a steady wifi signal though, latency issues were not as bad I thought they would be overall.

At home it works perfect with my sonos beam. At work it will not turn on our two yamaha receivers.

At home the youtubeTV app now drops about 5% of it frames. Its a stuttering mess now. Im instead using a $30 roku for seamless streaming playback
I got rid of most my issues by completely wiping and re-installing the OS from a USB stick but my Amp still will not play any sound the first time I turn the TV on after not using it for a while.

To get round this, I turn the Amp off, then the TV, wait 5 seconds, then turn the TV back on, now it outputs sound through the Amp.

Its really annoying and I can't see an easy way to downgrade back to the old firmware (admittedly I've been busy recently and not had a chance to properly investigate)

I got rid of most my issues by completely wiping and re-installing the OS from a USB stick but my Amp still will not play any sound the first time I turn the TV on after not using it for a while.

To get round this, I turn the Amp off, then the TV, wait 5 seconds, then turn the TV back on, now it outputs sound through the Amp.

Its really annoying and I can't see an easy way to downgrade back to the old firmware (admittedly I've been busy recently and not had a chance to properly investigate)

We cannot downgrade. I tried all the suggested solutions. I work for a low voltage company, we are a sony dealer. They have no true solution or timeframe for one. They pulled the update from auto servers and their website about 2 weeks ago. Its BS. If I didnt get 25% off dealer cost I wouldnt buy another one in the future....but the price is too good to pass up.

We cannot downgrade. I tried all the suggested solutions. I work for a low voltage company, we are a sony dealer. They have no true solution or timeframe for one. They pulled the update from auto servers and their website about 2 weeks ago. Its BS. If I didnt get 25% off dealer cost I wouldnt buy another one in the future....but the price is too good to pass up.
FFS! Did they just not test Audio Return Channel? I saw it was pulled by Sony when I was searching for a way of downgrading. I also noticed the bug even affects all their own soundbars and Amps! Well done Sony, you didn't even test with your own equipment...

Edit: Sony's Statement:
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/...cd-tvs-android-/kd-55xf9005/articles/00206881

Love it: "However, for customers that do not own a Sound Bar, A/V Receiver or Home Theater System and would like to experience the new features and functionalities on offer, the update is still available to download manually on the support site."

Last edited:
FFS! Did they just not test Audio Return Channel? I saw it was pulled by Sony when I was searching for a way of downgrading. I also noticed the bug even affects all their own soundbars and Amps! Well done Sony, you didn't even test with your own equipment...

Edit: Sony's Statement:
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/...cd-tvs-android-/kd-55xf9005/articles/00206881

Love it: "However, for customers that do not own a Sound Bar, A/V Receiver or Home Theater System and would like to experience the new features and functionalities on offer, the update is still available to download manually on the support site."

Ya its bad

Back