Sound Card Dos Compatibility Help!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

greatman05

Hello. I was wondering if there is any way for my Crystal Audio CS4236B sound card to work in DOS? I am having problems wsetting the compatibility settings. Also, are therer any DOS soundcard compatibility programs for the Sound Blaster Live! 24 bit PCI audio card? Finally, is there a way to increase the performance of this computer software wise? When I use the Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit PCI sound card, I get audio artifacts that may have something to do with minimum system requirements, since the sound card requires at least a 450 mHz Pentium III processor:

Dell Optiplex GX1 450L+
Service Tag: 54H77

Pentium III processor~ 450 mHz
ATI Rage Pro Turbo AGP 2x 4MB SGRAM video card
Crystal Semiconductor CS4236B sound card
+Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit PCI sound card
8.4 GB Western Digital Caviar 28400 hard drive with Windows Millenium Edition
Pioneer DVD-ROM DVD-116 16X DVD/40X CD optical drive

Thanks for ANY help you can give me!!! https://www.techspot.com/vb/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=8#
hotbouncehttps://www.techspot.com/vb/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=8#
Confusedhttps://www.techspot.com/vb/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=8#
suspicious

system max?

I can't answer any of the DOS questions, but- what's the rating on your PSU? How much memory do you have? Are you trying to run both soundcards simultaneously? Methinks you may have your system pretty well maxed out. :knock:

Not really

When you say run both sound cards at the same time, do you mean when I enable the motherboard sound device (CS4236B) with the Sb still on and switch drivers when I need the speed? if so, maybe yes.... I do need help on those dos questions though...are there any links to where I can find out any info about dos compatibility?

replying to your earlier question...:

Memory: 128 PC100 SDRAM Infineon
PSU: 210W Dell power supply for Low Profile case

i wonder if this helps... :eek: :bounce: :(

...what programs could you be possibly running in DOS that you want to test with your Sound Card? Don't most DOS programs use the computer beeper?

Try this

Might find something here: http://www.computing.net/dos/wwwboard/forum/15025.html
or here: http://easymamecab.mameworld.net/html/snddosdr.htm
Just Google for DOS soundcards, there are thousands of links.

I iterate- it appears to me that you have reached the extreme outer limits of what your system can handle. You definitely need more RAM, and I, personally would want at least a solid 300W minimum if I was going to burn CD's, DVD's. Your artifacts could be caused by low power, among other things. :slurp:

I tried that...

I tried to put a 300W power supply in there. IT WAS NEW! When I turned it on... it made fizzling sounds, so I took it back off. I tried this three times already...and it still doesn't work. I have plugged in the cables right...could it be due to the motherboard?
:confused:

more help

greatman05 said:
I tried to put a 300W power supply in there. IT WAS NEW! When I turned it on... it made fizzling sounds, so I took it back off. I tried this three times already...and it still doesn't work. I have plugged in the cables right...could it be due to the motherboard?
:confused:

If you get "fizzling sounds" from the PSU, there is definitely a problem! I will not try to offer advice, as I don't have that level of knowledge as to what may be happening. Hopefully, one of the experts around here will see this thread and respond. :confused:

back to the stoneage eh?

Is your sound card sound blaster 16 bit compatible, if yes:
Try an multiboot system with windows 98,
add the following line in the autoexec.bat (if i remember correctly)
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 E620 T6

A=address 0x220
I= IRQ 5
D= DMA 1
etc

Performance increase is only possible by means of disabling unnecessary programs or overclocking (when your mobo supports it).

Good luckl

I don't have a copy of Windows ME OR 98 OR Xp or any WIndows or DOS version. Is there any way I can get ME to run in DOS mode? Ummmm... on that power supply...should I still try to use it? And about that soundcard...The SoundBlaster Live! 24-bit soundcard isn't dos compatible. Went into device manager and found out that isn't using any Dos compatibility settings i.e. no low DMA, no High DMA.....any Sound or Dos game emulators besides DOSBOX or VDMSound? VDMSound only works on WIn NT/2000/XP, and DosBox is unbearably slow...Any ideas?

Also, the fizzling sounds don't come from the PSU, they come from the MOBO! Using the 210W, I am able to boot fine with no problems...but with the 300W, it won't come on at all. The DOS Sound problems still do apply because of the fact that I have MANY DOS GAMES!

Pressing F8 during boot, might present you an startup menu, choose command prompt in safe mode. This might boot you into dos.

Win98 provides this option, winME i am not sure about.
NT4.0/Win2000/XP or later do not provide this option.

One tip though; ME is the worst MS operating system ever, i recommend you downgrade to 98. Much more stable.

I have played before with same issues with an audigy card.

I did find an dos device emulator back then, cant remember its name.
(the results werent satisfying though, but it might be that was because of
its early development stage. It might have become better over time)

I will do some searches and will post later the result.

DOSbox

Do a google for dosbox. If you are trying to get dos/sound working he has some pretty good information with his product. And its free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back