Sound is choppy and skipping on soundMAX integrated board

Status
Not open for further replies.

neogeo1

Hello please help. I have a soundMAX integrated digital HD audio in my PC, with the following 5.10.1.4151 drivers installed.

The problem I am having is that after my PC being on for a few hours when I try to play an MP3 file or a video file the sound is very choppy and skipping. This PC is only about 3 months old. It has 1GB RAM and a DualCore Intel Pentium D820 processor and the motherboard is an ASUS PV5D2-MX-00. I am running winXP Pro.

According to device manager the drivers are dated 5/10/2005, which I guess makes them pretty old......

How can I fix this problem? I rarely have more than 2-3 programs running at the same time so I don't think too much strain is the problem. Do I need to upgrade the drivers perhaps? On this page (http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us) I found the following drivers, but not sure if they are the ones I need to download. Version V5.10.02.4490 2006/06/29 update
OS WinXP 64bit / Win2003 64bit
Description ADI AD1986A Audio Driver V5.10.02.4490 for Windows 64bit XP/2003
File Size 11.56 (MBytes)

Please help me if you can. Thanks in advance.

It depends on your Windows version. You selected the one for Windows XP Pro x64. Is that the one you have? If you have regular XP Pro (32 bit), you need a different one. I can't be sure of the exact one you need because I think you misstated your motherboard model. Perhaps it should be P5VD2-MX?

Ok, firstly my apologies, you are correct. My motherboard is P5VD2-MX. I think I am running 64bit winXP. How can I tell???

Sorry I am not a proffessional with computers. I have some knowledge but not expert level. I appreciate your reply. Please help if you can.

I'm not a professional either so don't worry about it. I don't have Windows XP x64 but if you go to Start -> Run and type dxdiag, it should tell you the Windows version you have.

OK m8, first of all we need to know what type of windows you are running. An easy way to find out is by clicking on the start menu, than from there "RIGHT" click on "MY Computer", than select properties.

From there you should have a window under System Properties. Under the General Tab, under System is should tell you what Windows you are running.

If you still don't know than this might help you.

Than once you found out what windows you are running, select the Download that matches your OS (Operating System, XP Pro, XP x64 etc), these drivers are for the motherboard you have which i believe is the P5VD2-MX. Direct Downloads:

OS: Vista 32bit / Vista 64bit; Driver Version : V6.10.1.6100
http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/Driver/Audio/ADI/AudioAD1986A610x6100_Vista.zip

OS: Win2K / WinXP / Win2003; Driver Version: V5.10.01.4151
http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/audio/ad1986/AD1986A_32bit_V510014151.zip

OS: WinXP 64bit / Win2003 64bit; Driver Version: V5.10.02.4490
http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/audio/ad1986/AD1986A_64bit_V510024490.zip

These are the latest drivers, if you have any of these than don't download them.

If you are still having trouble, than this also might help. I have SoundMax aswell and also had similar trouble. Down in the taskbar near the clock right click on the blue box with the white triangle and select "SoundMax Control Panel " from there click preferences, it is located at the top left hand corner and looks like a hammer (well at-least it does to me), than from there click the "DTS Connect" tab. Mine sort of auto-fixed itself so I no longer have this problem among the settings i choose, but when i did i selected "Music" under Enable DTS Neo:pC. This was just an advice that may/may-not help you. But if you have any problems just fiddle around with the settings, just try not to uninstall the drivers.

Thanks guys (and girls) for your help. I did use those mothods before to try and establish which version of winXP I am using. What I am trying to see is something that tells me if it is 32 or 64 bit. I can't see either but I am presuming that it is 32bit. I downloaded the updated drivers but the version has the same numbers as the drivers I already have installed. The ones I have installed at the moment are dated 5/10/05. Are the ones you posted a later version?

Will take your advice and modify the settings on the soundMAX control panel. I have this not set to load with windows by default. but can still access it. Will let you know how it goes.

From what I have seen there seems to be a lot of trouble with this soundMAX.

Ok _FAKE_. I installed those drivers and re-boooted. Can get into soundMAX control panel but there is no "DTS connect" tab. Hopefuly re-intalling the drivers helps but I think something must cause the distortion. It mainly happens when the PC has been on say overnight or for a few hours. It's wierd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back