Sound Problem - kmixer.sys at fault?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Help! I'm having some sort of problem with my sound drivers. When I try to do anything involving sound (Games, music, videos, etc), the computer crashes after about 5 or so minutes of play. I can't really have this happening when I'm planning a gaming party next weekend. Anyways, sometimes it restarts, sometimes it just sits there frozen until I turn it off, and sometimes I get the BSOD. All but about two of these BSOD's have shown no technical information. The two or so that have been useful have said that kmixer.sys is what is causing this. I was able to capture this information, and it is below (In abbreviated form with only the important stuff of course.)

kmixer.sys

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

(0x00000050, 0x00000000, 0xB8B6B53F, 0x00000000)

kmixer.sys - address 0xB8B6B53F at base B8B58000, datestamp 0a8fcd31

I have no idea how to solve this. I have already tried all of the following, and all have failed:
-Turning down sound hardware acceleration, both in the sound properties and in DirectX properties
-Run chkdsk
-Turned off BIOS caching

Oh and one thing, I've seen numerous computer help forums, and in about 15 different replies, there are 15 different solutions. Please, if it's possible, let me try one thing before posting another solution. This will make it a lot easier for me to find the solution.

Thanks in advance!

An Ox50 error can be due to several things. This is from auma.org:

0x00000050: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Requested data was not in memory. An invalid system memory address was referenced. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause this Stop message, as may other hardware problems (e.g., incorrect SCSI termination or a flawed PCI card).

* kmixer.sys is the Kernel Mode Audio Mixer driver for Windows OS>

Attach your minidumps to your next post; the more the better.

How to find your minidumps:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files. It is these files that we need you to attach to your next posting, NOT the whole folder.

Below your reply screen is the Additional Options screen. Notice the Manage Attachment button.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back