Sound? Sometimes yes-sometimes no

Status
Not open for further replies.
My computer was running very slow so I purchased a registry editor to fix those types of problems. And I've run AdAware and several spyware, anti-virus programs. And I did a de-frag. I also have been going through the XP add/delete section to delete programs I don't use anymore. I never deleted any kind of drivers or anything like that. Yet I now only have sound sometimes.

I have sound when playing CDs and listening to downloaded music in Windows Media Player. I can also listen to streaming audio via XMRadio.

However, I get no sound at places like YouTube or when I try to stream video feeds at places like MSNBC, etc. I also went to Hallmark Cards to see if I could hear sound when an animated card plays. No sound then either.

I went to Control Panel and checked my sound devices. It says everything is working properly. However, even if I check the box for the volume icon to be in my try, it doesn't show up there. And it did use to be there when everything worked right. I don't know where it went or why it went away but I can't get it back.

If anyone has any suggestions, feel free to share. I'm stymied.

Go to your systems website and download and install the lastest sound driver. Spyware or malware has probably partially disabled your current driver

also a very be possibility is that when editing the registry some very minor problems were caused and this has made the problems show up.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I downloaded the latest sound driver. Still no sound when playing things from the web. And even though I keep going into Control Panel and checking the box to allow the volume control to be in the system tray, it's still not showing up there.

And what I said probably sounded confusing. I ran Spy Sweeper and Norton Anti-Virus. Not several anti-virus programs. Sorry for the confusion.

New problem has cropped up now, all of a sudden. Now the anti-virus monitoring won't turn on. Oy veh! I'll take that to the proper place on the boards.

But at least my computer is running really fast now...just hope more problems don't crop up.

Anyway, anymore suggestions on how to get my sound back?

Well, I was hoping to avoid that and the hours of work it would take to do that. Is there any place around here with instructions on how to do it right?

For example, I have no idea how to save my information in Outlook, my bookmarks, and a few other things that I don't want to lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back