Soundblaster Live! Multiple 2.1 outputs? Is it possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased a soundblaster live sound card for my PC and have not installed it yet. I have a question that developed after reading the optional connections section of the quick start manual. There is an implication that this card could support 3 2.1 connections. I'm wondering if the soundblaster speaker control panel supports this as an option. Can I connect 3 sets of 2.1 and have volume (EQ?) control for each set? I haven't been able to find an answer to this at creatives site or in the manual on the disc. Maybe one of you successful soundblaster operators can help.

no separate volume

Since 2.1 speakers have a single-pin connector, I imagine you could hook one set each into the jacks on the card, but I can't think of any way you could have individual control over volume, or other settings. :confused:

no separate volume

Since 2.1 speakers have a single-pin connector, I imagine you could hook one set each into the jacks on the card, but I can't think of any way you could have individual control over volume, or other settings, except if each set has an onboard volume control (most do). Can't think of a way to "unify 'em. :confused:

You can hook them all up to the card but it will treat them as if it were one system (similar to a 5.1). Thus, you'll need to set the volume for each one to about an equal level and then use the computer's volume control to turn them up and down at the same time. You won't be able to control equalizer/volume/any settings on a per-line basis, so any changes you make will apply to all of the speakers.

Hmmm, thanks for the input but..........

Okay, i'm taking a chance posting this since I still haven't installed the SB live card yet. If the 5.1 (and 7.1) control consoles allow for level control of each set of speakers (front l & r, rear l & r, and base for 5.1) then in theory I should have level control if I connected a 2.1 and 1 (or 2) 2 speaker (stereo) sets, right? I will defer to those with experience with soundblaster live. I bought it because all these things I'm going to attempt with 2.1 and stereo speakers were implied on the box and in reviews but there wasn't much detail. The big picture plan is to have 2.1 in 2 rooms and stereo in the kitchen. I'm going to attempt this by using the 7.1 control console. I'm working with a budget here so bare with me. (I'm an electrician so pulling some wire around the attic and putting in outlets for the amps is no sweat)

guessing

I cannot say anything definitively-first, because I'm no expert, and second, because I have the Audigy 2ZS, and have no experience with the "Live!" version, but here's how I see it:
With the speaker settings and calibrations in the SB software, adjustments can be made as to "emphasis" per channel. There are no indiviual settings for "volume per channel." All volume adjustments made equally affect ALL speakers.

Also, not being an expert, it would seem that two of the output channels would be roughly identical, except for surround "timing," i.e. front and rear, whereas the third would be different in some way since the "center/sub" would be "static" in terms of surround. I do not know how the output would affect the different channels individually. I do not think that you will be able to individually affect volume/channel.

With the lengths of the cables you are proposing, I also would have no idea how/whether that might change the signal and quality of the output.

Finally, as was stated earlier, I think all you can do is to set the volume/per-pair to the desired level, then use the system volume to adjust all.

Not much help, I know, but that's the way I see it. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back