Soyo SY-5SSM MoBo, OS install problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to get an older socket 7 running for my wife to use. When I first got it, it was running win98 and didn’t seem to have any problems. I wiped the drive, and tried installing W2k. Once I had the service packs installed, it began to restart continuously getting as far as the desktop in windows, or sometimes only as far as the windows login screen before restarting again. I discovered that the motherboard (Soyo SY-5SSM) does not have W2k listed as a supported OS, so I wiped the drive again. I then tried installing win98SE. When I try to install, I get to a screen that tells me windows 98 is unable to install on the drive unless I re-format. I have done this a few times, but always the same thing. I have also tried this on three different hard drives with the same result.

After completing POST, it gives the message “NTLDR is missing, press CTL-ALT-DEL to restart”. I researched this, and there are many different solutions. I think the BIOS needs to be flashed, but the machine will not boot to a floppy disk. It will boot to CD-ROM, but keeps asking to re-format the drive. I have reset the BIOS, and still nothing. I have been able to run DOS through the win98 CD-ROM, and when I look at A:> I get a list of 19 files. These files are not on the disk in the drive, they appear whether or not there is a diskette in the drive at all. I will list these files later, in case it might help someone solve my dilemma.

If you know what I’m doing wrong, or know what I need to do to fix this please let me know!

it sounds like the soyo board is crapping out on you, a scenario not uncommon at all with soyo products. for about $300 (USD) you could have a fine AMD sempron box that will easily handle anything you had lined up for a socket 7 build.

Use the Win98 Startup disk to get a command prompt and then type: fdisk /mbr then partition and format. See if that'll allow you to install.

Thanks for the suggestion! I never got the chance to try it, though. I swapped out the floppy drive for one I knew was good, and I was able to boot on the win98 emergency disk. Then I was able to flash the BIOS, and that cleared the way for the win98 install. It's working as well as it can now.

Thanks again, I appreciate the help!

It's only an AMD 533Mhz processor with a 10 Gb hard drive. I had to install win98 because the motherboard wouldn't support w2k.

So to answer your question, not great by today's standards. It works well enough to browse and it keeps my wife off of my machine, so I'm happy! :grinthumb

Replace 450Mhz with 550Mhz?

I have a Soyo SY-5SSM. Book says 450MHZ max processor. Can I put a 550MHZ AMD k62 in it with out any damage to the board? If so, will I see much difference? It appears that the jumpers will accommodate the settings for a 550. Thanks

i wouldn't bother, since it's so old and outdated. furthermore, putting a faster processor than your board can handle often leads to instability. you might be able to get a bios update that allows use of the faster processor, if you decide to upgrade it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back