SP4 installtion problem on Win2000 advance server

Status
Not open for further replies.

novkhan

SP4 installtion problem on Win2000 advance server

Goodday!

Service Pack 4 installation problem!

"The file c:\winnt\system32\drivers\atapi.sys is open or in use by another application. Close all other application and then click Retry."

I have closed all application but i kept getting this error.

Please Help!

Are you updating from a DVD/CD rom and using authoring Software eg. INCD-Nero? Incd runs as a service in processes that might utilize atapi driver

ERROR: atapi.sys is open or in use by another application

do a search on your computer for atapi

or may look for it your self in this location

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers

once found, make a folder on your desk top and drag the file into this one new folder

now you can update your xp with sp1 / sp2

once upgraded your may delete this file...
dont worry! the sp1/sp2 installation will replace this file.

ENJOY!!!

Zahid@spacecomputers.com

p.s,
Same Principle applys to Win2000 advance server... just search for the atapi.sys file.

have you tried installing sp4 from a "safe mode" state?

Also, if you do have any CD Authoring software, chances are it starts a service. You can check your services to see if it loads any ATAPI type systems (Adaptec 4 for example does something stupid like that.) Try stopping them before installing

Also, Techn1976.. please read the questions.. it was S2k Advance, not XP.... but Welcome to Techspot at any rate!

Ok, this is an old thread, but I dropped by because my search engine hit it.

Starting in Safe Mode did not work. The thing that solved the problem for me was uninstalling Alcohol 120%. Other CD Burner apps may lock up the Atapi driver too. Possibly could have stopped a process instead, but there was nothing obvious.

Took me a long time to figure this out, so I figured I'd drop my solution off here in case someone else Googles by.

Best of luck.

I have got the same problem and confirm the alcohol source.
I resolved it by just renaming atapi.sys , then clicked retry and it worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back