Speaker volume control not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I have a pair of old Yamaha speakers and an SB Live Value sound card and I'm running XP. The speakers have a volume control and a headphone jack on them. Up until recently they were working fine but then my children were playing around on the PC and now neither the volume control on the speaker nor the headphone jack works (if I plug in the headphones the sound continues to be played through the speakers).

I've searched through the archives but haven't spotted anyone who has had a similar problem and since I've been banging my head against the wall for a couple of weeks I'd really appreciate some help.

If I read your post correctly, you are still getting sound from the speakers, right? It kind of sounds like the speaker controls and the headphone jack have been damaged somehow. Do you have another set of speakers you can test with or another PC to try these speakers on?

Thx mailpup, I don't have any other speakers to test with and it could even be age that's the factor but I know that something like this happened when I first had them but that was on a different pc and they were working fine on this one without any adjustment. The problem is that it was so long ago that I can't remember what it was that sorted them out. I've tried re-installing the drivers for the soundcard but that hasn't helped either.

If you are getting sound from the speakers, it is receiving a signal so I wouldn't think it is either the sound card or its drivers. If the sound level can't be adjusted by the volume control, something must be wrong with it. Anyway, that's my logic. Also, who knows what might have been shoved into the headphone jack.

I could be wrong, of course. Unless you want top of the line stereo speakers, a replacement set need not cost very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back