Specs On My First Build Attempt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merc14

I'm about to build my first PC and have been researching a lot (Seems to be the key to getting things right). Unfortunately, the more I learn the more I discover I don't know! This will be a gaming PC with a lot of upgradability potential. What do you folks think re. the following specs.

Thermaltake Black Gaming Tower XaserV Series WinGo Full-Tower Case, Model "V7000+"

ASUS "A8N-SLI Deluxe" nForce4 SLI Chipset Motherboard For AMD Socket 939 CPU -RETAIL

eVGA nVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT Video Card, 256MB GDDR3, 256-Bit, Dual DVI/TV-Out, PCI-Express, Model "256-P2-N376-BX" -RETAIL

Fortron Blue Storm 500W ATX12V V2.0 Power Supply with 120mm Fan, P4 and AMD ready, Model "AX500-A" -RETAIL

AMD Athlon 64 3500+, 512K, L2 Cache, Socket 939 Windows Compatible 64-bit Processor - Retail

Corsair XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series, (Twin Pack) 184 Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200 - Retail

SONY Black 1.44MB 3.5inch Floppy Disk Drive, Model MPF920, OEM

2x Western Digital 80GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model WD800JD, OEM Drive Only

Pioneer Black DVD+RW/-RW Drive, Model DVR-109, OEM

Microsoft Windows XP HOME Edition With Service Pack 2 -OEM
Specifications:

What do I think?

I think that your specs are VERY good :) . I think it may be a little expensive though, but if you don't care, I certainly don't care. Yep practically any game will run at max settings at high speeds. Good luck on your build, I just built my first one just a few days ago, and I learned a lot. I used an nforce4 ultra, 3000+, and a 6600gt, and this works great.

Spec's.

Well the spec's are great, however I would go for XP Professional. The only problem with hardware like main boards and video cards is that they are out of date when you buy them. The company will release a newer board a month after you bought yours. This is the biggest draw back with pc board manufactures, they do not do any research and development over a period of time. Just mass produce one board then 24 hours later turn out a newer board with improved BIOS etc.
Also video cards change like the weather, I still don't know what AGP card to buy. If you are into gaming then you need board X, however if you are like me and use it for work and sufring the net, then you need a different board etc.
Also video cards used with TFT monitors cause a new headache. As TFT monitors are not as good as crt for games. They have a slower refresh rate, however this will change in the future as technology improves. That is why my TFT & computer I use for surfing, ofice / home use.

grecai said:
Well the spec's are great, however I would go for XP Professional. The only problem with hardware like main boards and video cards is that they are out of date when you buy them. The company will release a newer board a month after you bought yours. This is the biggest draw back with pc board manufactures, they do not do any research and development over a period of time. Just mass produce one board then 24 hours later turn out a newer board with improved BIOS etc.
Also video cards change like the weather, I still don't know what AGP card to buy. If you are into gaming then you need board X, however if you are like me and use it for work and sufring the net, then you need a different board etc.
Also video cards used with TFT monitors cause a new headache. As TFT monitors are not as good as crt for games. They have a slower refresh rate, however this will change in the future as technology improves. That is why my TFT & computer I use for surfing, ofice / home use.
If you're just surfing the net I wouldn't spend a whole lot of $ on a video board. Hell, a Nvidia 5200 would do fine for that. Also, a LCD is great for surfing/work. Games are where you really start stressing the GPU and CPU.

vnf4ultra said:
I think that your specs are VERY good :) . I think it may be a little expensive though, but if you don't care, I certainly don't care. Yep practically any game will run at max settings at high speeds. Good luck on your build, I just built my first one just a few days ago, and I learned a lot. I used an nforce4 ultra, 3000+, and a 6600gt, and this works great.
So how did the build go? Was it as tough as you thought? What were the problems you encountered? Do you have an electrical engineering background or just a putz like myself?

If you're already plunking down that much, I'd strongly suggest you go for a 1MB L2 cache A64 rather than a 512kb L2 cache. The extra cache will benefit you a lot more than 200mhz faster clock speed.

Soul Harvester said:
If you're already plunking down that much, I'd strongly suggest you go for a 1MB L2 cache A64 rather than a 512kb L2 cache. The extra cache will benefit you a lot more than 200mhz faster clock speed.
That's probably not a bad idea. I'll check out the specs. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back