Speed step..

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayno20

does anyone know how to turn speedstep on a laptop off but keep it at the highest performance settings?

You can turn it on and off in the BIOS or you can use Windows XP Power Options to control it.

On you cut your CPU power down mostly to 800MHz depends on what you have. Better battery life...

Off you have your CPU running at full power... Shorter battery life though.

battery life is not an issue.... i tried to do it in the bios settings, but it takes the processor speed from 1.66 to 1.0GHZ perminently if i disable speedstep... is there anyway to disable it and keep the performance settings? (1.66)

Should be a setting in the BIOS to set it to performance or max. Did you update your BIOS to the latest one. I have a DELL with this feature, and the CPU PIII runs at 1.0 GHz or 700MHz with speed step turned on. I had mentioned the power control because you can tell the PC to always be on that will kick up the CPU speed back to what it was.

Which CPU do you have in that?

I also have AMD Mobile they have a feature that runs in Windows XP Pro that you can control the core speed of the CPU. Based on the battery. So I am running on that laptop at 1.8 - 1.9GHz all the time. Or if I want to save the 12 cell battery I can run at 800-900MHz.

its an intel T5500 core 2 duo processor... the only settings in the bios are to turn off speedstep and if i do that it automatically sets the cpu to the lowest settings (1.0GHZ)... if i left speed step on, but changed the power control to always on would that keep the cpu at 1.66?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back