Split drives need more storage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone I know split my C:drive and created another drive (E) but the problem is that the C drive has on 1.95 GB and the E drive has 16.6 GB. My computer is not functioning correctly and need to reformat so that C has more space to download things, install programs etc.

can anyone help?

thanks
M Harber

simply put when you reinstall create a larger C:\ partion typically i like to use around 4-5 GIG but thats up to you...

Are you reinstalling xp or is this an older o/s?

one thing you can try if you dont want to have to reinstall is one of the drive partitioning programs such as partition magic...

Caution: using partition magic can cause you to loose data...

It all depends on how it wants to work for you. I have used it at times to extend a partition and it has worked flawlessly, then other times it royally hosed the drive causing me to have to wipe all partitions and start over..

Am working off windows xp home edition,

is there a way that I can move space from the E drive to the C drive?

I don't care one way or the other about reinstalling windows, but not sure how to do that. currently there is not enough space in the c drive to do so. with more than enough space in E, unfortunatly the guy who did this didn't leave enough storage in C so how do I get more into the C drive or clear it up?

thanks

I know this, i format my pc all the time to get rid of crap... first of all you will need the windows xp cd (home edition or pro) then reboot with cd in the drive then it will say at the bottom of screen boot from cd press any key... then you press a key and follow the prompts ... its not hard atall... just remember make the partition bigger... delete all partitions to start off is best idea then make 2 new partitions i think your drive is 20gig so i would split it to 10 and 10 because u use c when using my docs (u may not of known that). then once u have made the 2 partitions install on c and from there its basic... read carefully ok :-D, if u didnt understand me then ask one of the advisors to confirm.

thanks this is helpful, one question...will it promt me to make the partition bigger? and howdo I delete the partitions?

thanks

When you have got past loading screens it will display what current partitions you have. Your computer wont prompt u to do anything you choose what size you want your partitions to be, and to delete them it will have it on your screen somewhere saying press EG: L to delete (NOTE: THIS IS NOT THE BUTTON TO DELETE)

Everthing will be explained once you get past the first few steps... i advise you to format using ntfs (just the normal one) thats if you have time because the normal ntfs takes a bit longer but i think its worth it.

ok so I tried to do what you suggested and the computer is not recognizing the cd at start up...when go into dos it won't allow me to boot from disk at all...not even given the option, any suggestions

yes, it starts up fine, but am not getting an option to boot from cd. is there something I am not doing? It keeps starting up normally with the windows screen
even in the set-up screen cannot find a boot from cd...any clue?

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back