Split-Second Freezes While Playing Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

NFSFAN

Hi, I have been having problems with my new computer. When I play games, any game no matter what, there are split second freezes even when the game runs at 60 fps. When I play gears of war for example, it always seems like it does this, even though it is not accessing the Hard drive. I am running around in Gears of War in the same location, back and forth, and it freezes for a bit and it is quite noticable and annoying, its not like its lagging, but more like the game stops for a bit then starts again. What can be causing this, I even defragmented my Hard drive.
EDIT: The only game in which this does not happen is TimeShift

Specs:
AMD Opteron 180 @ 2.75 GHz
A8N32-SLI Deluxe
BFG 8800 GT 512MB
2 GB Corsair XMS PRO
620W OCZ PowerStream PSU

As far as your issues with games in general I don't know what to tell you, but with Gears of War there is a known issue. I have a 3ghz C2D and an Ultra and although I get plenty o frames these pausing/stuttering issues you speak of plague me as well. I did some reading on Epic forums and lotsa peeps are having this problem, even a guy with a 3.4ghz quad core and 2 ultras in sli. I actually have a theory regarding general pausing issues with powerful cards: It seems that fluctuations in framerate are the primary cause of pausing/stuttering. With slow/slower cards the framerate doesn't peak as high so when an in game load occurs(hdd bottleneck)the framerate also doesn't have as far to dip so the fluctuation may only be 20 frames or less. With a fast/faster card the framerate peaks are much higher as well as the average, but these dips/lowpoints may be the same so the fluctuations will be more dramatic in some cases even 50-100 frames. Naturally if the framerate drops that many frames all at once even if only for a split second you will see and feel it. The point is that while a more powerful card may provide a higher rate, in some cases it will cause pauses/hitches to be more pronounced.

Thank you, I understand this, but even in games such as NFS Most Wanted, every 2 minutes, there is a slight long pause when racing, and this pause is about 1 second long. It is quite annoying. This also appears to be more frequent in Crysis, where it always does this. The only games which I've tried and do not do this are TimeShift and Splinter Cell Double Agent. With Splinter Cell Double Agent however, I got it to work without stuttering after I installed the AMD Dual Core Optimizer Patch, as I used to get a weird response from the game when moving forwards, backwards or side to side. In NFS Most Wanted however, this pause always occurs in the exact same sections of a race, but the HDD doesn't seem to be accessed. I never use V-sync, so that is out of the equation. However is there a way to fix this with Crysis, and NFS Most Wanted. I also tried Company of Heroes, and it does not have this problem, except when I enable DX10 mode, in the performance test, where near the end, the house pops up, it crashes. Also in Company of Heroes DX10 with AA doesn't work either, it also crashes. Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated. I would really want to run Crysis without the hitching and weird pauses. Thanks

Your computer is great for gaming, but what really slows you down is:

1. Fragmented Hard Drive
2. Hard drive reaching capacity
3. High RAM usage
4. Viruses/Adware/Malware/Spyware

Check all of these, correct any problems, and see if your games still freeze up/lag. Then let us know the results

Hard drive is defragmented almost every day, and the RAM usage does not get that high, I have 2 GB of Ram. Hard drive is also not reaching capacity, I have 20Gb left. I also don't have any malware or viruses. My primary concern is why Crysis does this. It is very irritating

I also tried NFS Carbon, same thing. It stutters all the time. Same for STALKER, except it is not as pronounced.

Some call it stuttering others say hitching... most of this activity is loading pauses from hdd to system ram or gfx ram. IMO much of this activity is normal and expecting perfection or even near perfection will ultimately only lead to disappointment! Enjoy the games as much as possible and try to ignore these issues as hard as it may be to do because I damn near drove myself crazy(and broke)in pursuit of perfection!!!

BTW: I mentioned earlier that GOW has many peeps complaining about stuttering(even those with "healthy"/virus free high end rigs)... it stutters more than any other game I own, but I still managed to beat it on hardcore mode and enjoy the hell outta it in the process!

Yes, I understand, but with my old ATI X1950 Pro, I was not getting any stuttering in NFS Carbon or Most Wanted, or if I did, it was very unfrequently. With this new computer and video card I get stuttering in all the NFS games, even in NFS Pro Street. In NFS ProStreet it is unbarable, it stutters every second. Are there any tweaks or different drivers that I should know about?? I would really prefer to reduce a bit of stuttering in NFS Prostreet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back