Spooky psu problem!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have recently changed my friends psu in his 2.6ghz celeron, 256mb ddr Emachines pile of ****

One day it just shut off and wouldn't work. The power supply in the pc was from Bestec and was a 250W ATX unit.

I sourced a 300W ATX unit and it now fires up ok but only if I unplug the power lead from the pc and then hold the power on button in before re plugging the power lead in. (Dont ask me how I found it out thats how it would work)

The pc now works fine apart from this strange way of getting it to fire up and although my friend is happy he can get his pc to work, it has totally baffled me as to why it wont fire normallly.

Thanks for the quick reply,

I have read the thread about emachines and psu problems. The pc still works 100% though, it's just the turning on of it!! does anyone think it can be solved or is it going to be a new mobo in the long run?

I didn't really look at the mobo-is it a standard type?

thanks again

To get the correct mobo you need to identify what processor it has!!

Or you can replace the whole lot as the case is standard atx form factor i believe!!

rcouzins said:
Thanks for the quick reply,

I have read the thread about emachines and psu problems. The pc still works 100% though, it's just the turning on of it!! does anyone think it can be solved or is it going to be a new mobo in the long run?

I didn't reelly look at the mobo-is it a standard type?

thanks again

Emachines use micro-ATX motherboards but if you replace the motherboard you will need a new windows disk(unless you get another Emachines board but they are overpriced junk). As rik said it definately has some motherboard damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back