spyware cookies?? what are they??

Status
Not open for further replies.

neild79

i keep getting messages telling me that spyware cookies have been deleted. i got one a minute ago saying 10 cookies were deleted. what are cookies???.

Cookies are little or big biscuits that come in chocolate ... JUST KIDDING lol

Hi neild

Cookies are small files which can be usefull and can also be used by websites to upload private information about your browsing habits. Legit websites put these on your system so when you revisit the site it reads the info in the cookie file and allows you to get access to pages more quickly, example... techspot cookeis might store info like username and password so when you revisit techspot you do not have to login each time.

so your antispyware/antivirus will delete known bad cookies that try to steal other personal info or allow hackers and other nasties to access your system.

there's more but that's the general idea.

Cookies are not spyware as many anti-trojan programs would like you to believe. They do keep track of site history, but they're not malicious in general. Still some people don't like them. Not using them or turning them off in your browser will slow down your surfing as the program will have to recall your personal information from the net every time you visit it.

Sorry Tedster, but some cookies can be malicious. See HERE for an Example.

neild79: If you use Firefox instead of IE, you will probably get less spyware cookies. In any case, it quite easy to block specific cookies in Firefox. It`s also a lot more secure than I.E. You can get it HERE.

A very good programme to have on your system, that will block lots of bad cookies/websites etc, is Spyware Blaster. You can get it HERE.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back