There is always a lag in the production price change getting through to the end user, and the length of the lag depends a lot on inventory within the supply chain. Are Newegg going to take a loss by reducing prices of inventory; no. They wait until the vendor signifies that he will take the loss to move inventory. That decision often happens within a single day; leading to the predicted price cut happening instantaneously - say on black friday?TBH I am not seeing this yet at the consumer level. Of three SSDs I added to a Newegg wishlist in June, one is the same price, one has dropped about 6%, and one has increased. A search of comparable drives today shows similar prices. Since I don't NEED a new SSD yet; I guess I will continue to wait.
You set the right direction, but did not answer fully. And where do the simpletons get the money to pay a lot? Because it is easy credit money. In the case of developing countries - credit from the bank, and in the case of "developed" countries, immoral lending is placed at the very top - the state. Western economies with mounting debts and budget deficits are classic Ponzi schemes. But there is always a mathematical end to this (and a psychological end when no one else wants to lend money to maniacs). What we are now seeing throughout the Western world is the collapse not of capitalism, but of immoral lending and attempts to jump out of the debt loop due to stagflation, that is, a way for debtors to get out in which working people (from whom they borrowed) are robbed in the first place , and parasites of all stripes are trying to jump out at the expense of the savings of hard workers, a productive stratum earned by hard work. The productive (that is, really useful for moving civilization forward, and not burning the planet's resources for nothing) layer of people on planet Earth has shrunk from more than 80% over the past 100 years to less than 25%. The remaining 75% are simply no longer needed on this celebration of life...It's because there are enough simpletons willing to pay higher prices and no government oversight. Welcome to capitalism where everything is about $.