SSH - remote login/terminal em?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mke

hi there techies :p

am looking for a good command based ssh terminal for remote login. saw putty, is it any good? what other terminals are u using to remotely login to a system and "fix" it? any advice? preferrably windows based, though linux apps also welcome. heck bring it all :)

tata

Putty is pretty good and customizeable, and much more lightweight than the standard SSH client, though I haven't tried the latest version.
Then you have SecureCRT which some friends of mine use.

I'm afraid I can't say which is best though.
I've got an educational license for the SSH, use XWin32 for most things *nix, and keep putty as a backup solution...

hi there, thanks for the reply. still i have some questions in regards ssh and how it would work. for instance i have 4 systems on my network, 1 server, 3 clients. if i want to connect from the server to the other 3 clients, do i need only to install ssh/putty/securecrt to the server and then just connect to them? or do the clients need also a type of software installed to them.
probably gonna use putty, or ssh, but i think ssh is £ while putty free. correct me if am wrong.

thanks

You only put putty on the clients, since it is a client.
On the server you will need to put an SSH server which you an either get from SSH, though that is a bit expensive as you pointed out, or you can try to find a free SSH server.
Just make sure that the server is compatible with the client.

OpenSSH has both clients and server for free, and is rated to be one of the more secure SSH implementations available, so you might want to look into that.

mke is a bit confused maybe.. For every network service there are two sides - the client side and the server side. These sides are usually implemented by different programs. You have SSH server software and SSH client software.

If you want to make a connection from your server computer to the client computer, then from SSH point of view the client computer is the "server" and has to have SSH server software running.

Mind you, there is no easy (free) way to get a SSH server going on Windows..

Maybe you should explain in more detail what exactly you want to achieve here?

hi there, basically i want to be able to connect to my systems and control them/ administrate them from one another, depending where i am. (btw, any ideas for a good starting point/manual/helpfile/tutorial of how to start administrating systems with ssh??? i mean i would love to manage my mates system on remote locations :)

on example of my current desire :
e.g. 3 clients, 1 server. if i want to connect from server to clients, i need to run a server ssh on the server, and a client on the client? or is that wise versa. why the need for server/client type of model, as if i was to use a e.g telnet approach, i wouldnt require that.
and what if i want to connect from the client e.g. my laptop to the server. does the laptop have to have a server side ssh installed to it???
the last post got me confused.

i thought i only needed a client for all my work, and on second though, only server ssh on server, and ssh clients on client machine, so i could e.g. connect with the client laptop by calling the server and requesting a prompt.

or???

hmmmm my mind buzzes with questions and knowledge :)
btw, will be installing either free/open ssh and putty client for this.
my mind is made up :p
anyhow thanks

The way how you call your computers is totally important. You have a box you call a "server", but this label doesn't change anything in how the computer works. If I call my computer Google, it doesn't make it the biggest search engine in the workd.
OK, so forget about the way you think about your computers and concentrate on the specific role in a specific scenario.

If you want to connect to a computer, then that target is the "server" in the context of this connection. If you want to connect from A to B, then A is the client and B is the server. You need client software on A and server software on B.

Anyways. What operating systems do you have? Windows is useless for command line work. You should set up Remote Desktop, VNC or Radmin if you want to manage Windows systems remotely. SSH may come as an encryption layer if you intend to do your managing over the internet.

And telnet does use a client/server model - they're just usually pre-installed for you.

using windows xp sp2 and mandriva dual boot on other. so to connect from e.g. xp to mandriva, mandriva needs to run a server side ssh. from mandriva to xp, xp needs to run server side ssh. but from xp to xp i can also use remote desktop, vnc and radmin. however what if in this scenario i wont to connect with ssh. what soft do i need? i mean i just wanna experiment with this and learn abit about ssh with playing around, maybe connect from uni computer to my home setup and check it ;)

anyhow thanks

You can use VNC with Linux both as server and client and RDP and Radmin work as clients in Linux no problem.

Really, how well do you know Windows command line? Try using your Windows computer for one day, using only the command prompt :) Forget about managing Windows with SSH.

Linux is another matter entirely. As it is a proper operating system, it comes with powerful command line and with SSH server and client components available.

So, if you want to start with SSH, install and enable the SSH server in Mandriva. Make sure you allow it in the firewall too. Put PuTTY on any of your Windows machine and hack away.

Nodsu said:
Really, how well do you know Windows command line? Try using your Windows computer for one day, using only the command prompt :)

this is a good question :) honestly i aint that good with cmd, but then again am looking for tutorials and shortcuts/commands for the promt. any advice on this is also much appreciated. also i've been using for a while powershell, though i only have this nice little shell on 1 system and its quite interesting compared to old prompt. anyhow my question was for any advice/tutorial/reference on commands that can be used on cmd, besides the ones you get with help default help.

anyhow. thanks again techies :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back