Standby Not Working Since Keyboard/Mouse Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nukey

Hey there,

I have been having quite a few issues. Before I decided to purchase a Logitech MX5000 Desktop set, I used to love the feature of Windows XP where you could place the computer into standby so that boot-up would only take a few seconds.

That was really useful but...

...it's now not working! :(

Before I installed the MX5000 set it used to work fine but now when I place the machine into standby, instead of switching off completely and just having the small power light flashing like it did before, when I hit standby the computer tower stays on, the lights stay on, the fans still spin but the monitor goes off.

I have come to the conclusion that the Logitech set has interfered with the standby function of Windows XP. But even after uninstalling the keyboard software completely it still doesnt work. The full power-off on standby used to work with this keyboard and mouse, that was until the software was installed.

Any ideas? thanks so much...

-Nukenukes

Standby

There is no option for standby only hibernate, but everything is enabled anyway. Its only since installing it the system won't go to standby properly. Everything used to switch off but it doesnt now, only the monitor goes off and wakes up when you move the mouse instead.

I never use standby myself, If i were you, i would leave the PC running and just have the monitor switch off to save power, standby isn't good for your system and is known to cause stability issues... (and by the way, standby was around before windowsXP). .

but anyways, you should be able to fix the problem by running system restore (which is new in windowsXP :) goto start > programs > accessories > system tools > system restore (choose a restore point prior to the mouse/keyboard installation)

Well I always found it useful as the computer would boot up quickly.

I have over 10 fans in my machine and can be quite noisy. I liked standby because I could be switching on and logging in in seconds.

I cannot use system restore because it never seemed to work! every time I tried it would say restore failed, so after a while I got a bit fed up with it and switched off system restore.

It would be a pain to just leave the monitor on because of all the lights and fans etc. Plus the electricity costs will be lower in standby. Do you know if there is any other way to sort this? I know its a bit far fetched but standby was very useful it was only until the setpoint software by logitech was installed when it all went wrong.

The software was installed quite a long time ago too.

i have a logitech bluetooth set and my standby is also with fans runing and monitors turned off.. how i deal with it? easy. enable hibernate, assigned my power button to hibernate (or use my tv tuner's remote) and presto. quick on/off with the once in a while reboot to keep the system nice and happy.

Well thats not good for me, thanks for trying though, I used to use hibernate but every time it comes back on the keyboard and mouse disconnects. Also when I use hibernate it is very slow and it takes about a minute to load up! So I might as well not used it at all. I prefered standby becau... oh what the hell, Im going to reformat everything and not use the logitech software lol.

:D :D

Sorry to double post but just letting you know that its all been sorted out now. Im using the mouse and keyboard without the software and everything works fine. Thanks so much for your help!

yeh.. forgot to mention.. you'd dont realy need the setpoint software (or even m$'s intellipoint) to run a wireless key&mouse thing.. the software is just to enable the extra buttons and functions..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back