1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

StarCraft 2 and esports personality Geoff 'iNcontroL' Robinson dead at 33

By Shawn Knight · 13 replies
Jul 22, 2019
Post New Reply
  1. Well-known gaming personality Geoff “iNcontroL” Robinson died of an unexpected illness over the weekend. He was 33.

A message on Robinson’s official Twitter account confirmed the news on Sunday. In it, his family asked for privacy as they work to understand what happened and make arrangements. Those wishing to honor his memory or offer comfort to the family are encouraged to donate to the SoCal Bulldog Rescue.

Tributes and well wishes have been pouring in from all parts on social media. Even Robinson’s ex-wife had nothing but fond things to say. The two parted ways last October after nearly six years of marriage.

As ESPN highlights, Robinson got his competitive start in StarCraft: Brood War before transitioning over to StarCraft II. He eventually became one of the top players in North America and later went on to lead the StarCraft team for the Evil Geniuses esports organization.

After retiring from competition, Robinson became an esports commentator and would frequently host streams on Twitch. His most recent broadcast on Twitch occurred just three days ago.

Permalink to story.

2. avioza

avioza TS Maniac Posts: 209   +162

That is very sad news. He was a good announcer and fun to listen to.

3. kevbev89

kevbev89 TS Maniac Posts: 195   +169

I was nuts because I recently just got back to watching some SC2 matches where some where commentated by iNcontrol. And indeed, he definitely did the job well.

RIP

m3tavision likes this.
  4. Uncle Al

Uncle Al TS Evangelist Posts: 5,527   +3,911

"unexpected illness" is all too often just code for a drug overdose of some sort .....

5. tomkaten

tomkaten TS Maniac Posts: 253   +166

Shocking news ! He was so young... May he rest in peace.

I've been a member of the TL.net community for 17 years now and have always appreciated his insight and his humor. He was also a pretty decent Starcraft player.

m3tavision likes this.
  6. Hexic

Hexic TS Evangelist Posts: 524   +353

Quite sad, he was one hell of a unique guy in the scene. Fun to watch play, stream, or watch him mess around hosting a Homecup tournament.

After many years of watching him come up, this actually really sucks to see.

7. Dosahka

Dosahka TS Addict Posts: 158   +60

I bet Blizzard will create a voice pack SC2, probably I will be one firsts who buy it. I laughed so much on his streams, one of best streamers who was an entertainer, not just a good SC2 player. God bless his soul.

8. amghwk

amghwk TS Guru Posts: 545   +330

I too would like to know what is this "unexpected illness" about.

At the very least, other young people may learn from this. Depression? Drugs? Or some sort of communicable disease? Dying at young age is not normal.

The family can help educate other youth if it's preventable.

9. Hexic

Hexic TS Evangelist Posts: 524   +353

Pro gaming, particularly in his era, wasn’t a healthy or heavily regulated lifestyle. Some of the stuff Geoff, Rotterdam, and that crowd did back in the day was some diehard partying.

Capaill likes this.
  10. ScubaSteve123

ScubaSteve123 TS Rookie

According to his Twitter he passed away from a blood clot in his lungs. Seems as though it just came out of nowhere. Both him and TB passing away are big blows to starcraft. May he Rest in Peace.

Hexic likes this.
  11. mbrowne5061

mbrowne5061 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,239   +692

It is also very easy for doctor's to miss heart conditions in younger patients. They just aren't looking for them most of the time.

Hexic likes this.
  12. Capaill

Capaill TS Evangelist Posts: 919   +507

I also wonder if they were pushing themselves too hard. I've been watching a good few SC2 casts over the last few months and the casters regularly say how they have to work for 12 hours straight each day of the tournaments plus travelling and meeting the players. It's an unhealthy lifestyle. At some stage you just have to accept that you're getting older and your body just can't take it any more.

13. jubileenunn

jubileenunn TS Rookie

It's still so hard to believe.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
  14. jubileenunn

jubileenunn TS Rookie

It was a pulmonary embolism. Have some respect!

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...