StarCraft II is still going strong a decade on

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty will turn 10 years old next week. To commemorate the occasion, Blizzard is publicly testing an anniversary update that introduces a handful of new features and further irons out some bugs.

Its predecessor, the original StarCraft from 1998, has been labeled as one of the greatest and most important video games ever. Understandably, fans and critics were skeptical when the sequel dropped on July 27, 2010, especially after its rocky start which prompted Blizzard to overhaul the project early on in its development.

Remarkably, Blizzard managed to deliver.

StarCraft II launched to critical acclaim, amassing a favorable score of 93 on Metacritic alongside a user score of 8.3 (for comparison, the first game earned an aggregate score of 88 and a user score of 91). Over the past decade, Blizzard launched three expansion packs – Heart of the Swarm, Legacy of the Void and Nova Covert Ops, all of which added meaningful content to the base game.

In 2017, Blizzard made StarCraft II free for all.

The anniversary update includes the largest number of editor changes ever introduced as well as a new genre called Campaign for Arcade maps, support for transitioning a multiplayer lobby between two maps, new campaign achievements, a commander prestige system and more.

Full details on the update can be found over on Blizzard’s website and if you want to learn more about the editor update, be sure to check out this post.

Permalink to story.

I think I have 50 hours in the first and maybe 100 in the 2nd, never really understood all the obsession over them, they were just to small scale for me to enjoy. After playing total annihilation and supreme commander (as well as supcom2) most RTS games feel to small scale for me. I think the wargame series was the first game that gave me the sense of scale that the supcom games gave me.

Best RTS game of all times. The story is cheesy as hell compared to Starcraft I, the graphics may be a little bit to cartoonish. Nevertheless, there's nothing at this hour which remotely compares to this clickfest. I'm having the best time of my life playing this gem.
The ONLY game from Blizzard/Origin/EA Games or Epic Games I'd pay collector's edition for is Starcraft (III) RTS/RPG/Shooter/Whatever.
Otherwise, I've pre-ordered Cyberpunk 2077. Collector's Edition. Not having any MTX or "skins for payment" needs to be rewarded :D :D :D

Probably because Blizzard abandoned it. If Blizzard shifts their focus to this game and tries to "fix" it, it would die soon after. I never could get into RTS.

Never could get into it at all. Not sure why after so long, but after getting about 30 hours into the game I gave up and have never been interested in revisiting it.

It's okay. I didn't think the strategy portion of the game was really that great, at least not the way CoH is. For the most part, you build units and rush their base. Rinse and repeat. No building up, or choke points, or careful positioning of artillery.

It's okay. I didn't think the strategy portion of the game was really that great, at least not the way CoH is. For the most part, you build units and rush their base. Rinse and repeat. No building up, or choke points, or careful positioning of artillery.

Yeah Company of Heroes smokes SC but I love them all : - D

I played all the starcraft games back in the day, all the Diablos too, and still do.
They are really fun and entertaining and Starcraft II is really well designed and the graphics still hold to this day. And the machines we have today certainly break no sweat running them!

If released today, gamers would nitpick the hell out of the game. Just to much hate and zero appreciation for the art of making a great game.

When I think great games I never think Starcraft. Warcraft 3 might be there for it's engaging story, but I didn't even finish the story of SC2, it was just so bland. The multiplayer part was tense though, I really enjoyed it in 2v2 and little in 1v1, but it's in the end so fast paced it burns you out quite quickly. The multiplayer makes the game rather two-sided; it has very nice graphics, solid voice acting, different combinations of units and emphasis on timing, all this with no major weaknesses, but then it gets too hard at some point. Also the strategies seem to get slimmer the better you are, making the game feel stale to even watch.

Last edited:
Back