Start Up Problem after PCI USB2.0 & Firewire installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought I had done well installing a Belkin USB 2.0 and Firewire card, my first ever hardware installation. After a few initial problems I am now left with a PC that won't start up other than in safe mode. However, if I then disable the Standard Enhanced USB I can start up OK. If I then enable the Standard Enhanced USB it all works fine until I shut down and try to restart again. I notice that it shares an IRQ with NVIDIA GeForce 3. I thought about changing theIRQ settings but not sure if this is the answer and feeling I'd be going in above my head.

Any suggestions??

Yes you can try playing around with IRQs. You can also try the cards in different slots.

And disable all kinds of hardware in BIOS you don't use like COM and parallel ports eating up your IRQs. The video card doesn't need an IRQ either - look for the "Assign an IRQ to VGA" setting in BIOS and disable it.

Silverlarynx

Thanks. That's helpful. I can't find anything in the BIOS section of the setup that corresponds to your suggestion re the graphics card although I did disable it via device manager and it then started up normally so I think that might be the root of the problem. I'll also try different slots and see if that results in the allocation of a different IRQ. In the BIOS settings nearly everything seems automated and imposiible to manually assign. Am I missing something?

There are different to look for solutions for that problem & it would certainly help if you could at least give us more information about your operating system & your setup in general.

Silverlarynx

Glad for your offer of assistance and further possible solutions.

My setup is as follows

ASUS A7A266 Socket A Motherboard
ALiMaGiK 1 Chipset
512Mb DDR Ram
AMD Athlon 1.4GHz Processor
Windows XP Home Edition
NVidia G Force 3 Graphics (On Board)
Soundblaster Live! (On Board)

The USB 2.0 and Firewire card i am trying to install is the Belkin model F5U508ea

Any other info you would like?

Thanks again

You may want to verify the BIOS settings, and see if you can find any option akin to "Plug'n'Plag Operating System" or some such. If you can find it, then my guess is that it is set to "No." Change it to "Yes" and retry - Your problem may well be gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back