Start Up Slowdown after installing anti Virus programs

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricSalvi

Hello, I just recently installed a new Hard drive so my old virus programs had to be reinstalled. I just finally reinstalled them but before I did that my computer at start up was running quickly. Now it takes a while to start up and just shows my desktop image for a while until the windows task bar pops up.

I have installed AVG, AVAST and ZoneAlarm installed. After installing these programs it got slow. I also downloaded Startup Delayer from R2 Studios but it still takes a while to start up. Any help on making my computer load quicker?

Which one is better AVG or Avast? I only installed these 2 because on the directions for cleaning up your computer that came from this forum said to install them. Now that I think about it probably said either one.

I advise my customers to only one anti-virus. The first reason is that AV utilities are a mature technology as they have been around for 20+ years and so you only need one. Anti-spyware is the other way around, you need 3 because no one utility yet detects everything. The other reason you only use 1 anti-virus is that these utilities are processor hogs.

Which one to use is really up to you. Some techies argue a particular is better than another, I say they are all good. If you system is current, go with Norton or McAfee because they have an elaborate tech support system in the even you do get disabled. Use AVG if you are tight for money (it's free) or have a lower end system (AVG is the least processor intensive.)

Personally I like AVG better. I would shy away from Norton because of the resources it takes up and it tightly integrates with your system in such a way that removing it is very difficult. People will say no antivirus will find everything, so you may need to use an additional one at times, but those should be in the form of web scans rather than a second program installed. If you must have 2 installed at once, don't allow 2 to run at the same time.

almcneil is correct with the anti spyware stuff.

Once you get the 2nd AV removed your system should be better, but almost by defination having an AV installed will slow down your system.

Ok thank you guys. I got rid of the Avast and kept the AVG. It was a little quicker but still slow. I uninstalled the starup delayer program so hopefully it will be back to almost normal. Is there a way to delay the progam on start up so that after everything loads the avg loads and then looks for updates instead of downloading an outside program?

As fars Windows goes, I don't beleive you can select the startup sequence but you can select what background programs are to be or not to be started. There may be some 3rd party startup program that can do this. Still, I would advise against it because you need the anti-virus started up and running ASAP. It's that important.

If you really want to speed up your system, get more memory and/or faster CPU.

So even if my computer was running super quick before installing the AV program, I should still need more memory or a faster cpu?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back