Starting to build new PC...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RustyZip

Hi...

Im starting to build a new PC from scratch...

I bought a Case with an El-Crappo PSU, so i forked out extra and they gave me a QTEC 550W PSU...

Now, on reading several threads, i've realised that Wattage isn't the only important factor, but also the 12V power. So basically im asking are QTEC PSU's any good and do i have enough of the ol' 12V....

..............PEAK.....MAX
+3.3V.....30A.......20A
+5V........40A.......35A
+12V......20A.......14A
-5V........1.0A.......0.5A
-12V......1.0A......0.5A

Specs:
Gigabyte 8INXP Mobo
P4 2.4
2 Hard Disks
2 CD-ROMs
Floppy
S. Blaster Card
GeForce 2 Video Card
USB ADSL Modem

Cheers...

While your all pondering on the last question, here's another quickie:-

I'm about to place the heatsink onto the CPU, and its got this black tape on the bottom of the heatsink. Now do i have to peel that off to reveal some sticky gunge, or do i leave it on???

I know this must seem like a dumb question, but hey, im a dumb bloke !!:D :blush:

I have never heard of Q tec PSU's but most newer quality Psu's (330 watt +)are delivering about 18A on the 12volt rail. your P4 2.4 Ghz sucks up 9A by itself. if the system boots and runs is the main thing if it does and you dont start expiriencing any strange glitches or crashes then you should be fine.

another concern is that not all PSU's actually deliver what they claim which is why I tend to stick with PSU's like enermax, antec, vantec etc.

I'm about to place the heatsink onto the CPU, and its got this black tape on the bottom of the heatsink. Now do i have to peel that off to reveal some sticky gunge, or do i leave it on???

NOPE you dont peel it off that black tape is the thermal pad and it works just fine with P4's.

Thanks for the reply ISS...

I forgot to mention that the Motherboard comes with its own daughter card?? called a Dual Power Voltage Regulator Module. It says that with it, it supplies a total 6-phase power circuit design...

I can't find any power/tech details about it...

Another quickie question....

These washers for when you screw the mobo in the case, do they go on before the spacers or after, or on top of the mobo, then screw it all in???

Cheers...

If your talking about the little red spacers they go between the screws and the mobo. the easiest way is simply put them onto the screws.

20A isn't very good at all for a 550W PSU. My 350W could (on paper) push 26A.

I wouldn't reccomend taking the black thermal pad off unless you're gonna use Arctic Silver or another thermal goo.

According to what you stated, the 12v rail has 20A PEAK, this is not sustained, the 14A MAX is going to be closer to what you will be getting from it. I wouldn't recommend that PSU. If however your numbers are incorrect, or if I knew something about the quality of that company I might say different. But I'd recommend a little more current in the 12v rail and a trusted name brand like Enermax or Antec.

Originally posted by RustyZip
While your all pondering on the last question, here's another quickie:-

I know this must seem like a dumb question, but hey, im a dumb bloke !!:D :blush:

Just want to check but you should have to remove some piece of tape which protects the thermal pad prior to installation of the heatsink (well thats my prior experience with thermal pads). If it looks like it will simply peel off them most likely it will, leaving behind the thermal pad ready to mesh with the core.

Well, certainly as Arris says, make sure that its not tape before you fit the HSF. If not, you will get much depleted performance from the cooler.

Arris - All i can see is a strip of black tape. It does seem that it could easily peel off, but i scratched a small bit off, and there doesn't seem to be anything underneath...
Now im confused...

Originally posted by RustyZip
Arris - All i can see is a strip of black tape. It does seem that it could easily peel off, but i scratched a small bit off, and there doesn't seem to be anything underneath...
Now im confused...

Well its thermal tape rather than a thermal pad then.
Leave it be or replace it with Artic Silver III or similar compound.

Check out this heatsink-guide article about the different types and how well they perform.

Stock P4 coolers have that black thermal tape, AMD coolers have thermal tape and a plastic tape covering it. I always take the tape out and use thermal paste instead.

Originally posted by Mictlantecuhtli
Stock P4 coolers have that black thermal tape, AMD coolers have thermal tape and a plastic tape covering it. I always take the tape out and use thermal paste instead.

Thermal pad with tape covering it.
Sorry for the confusion. I've not had a P4 heatsink out of a computer so I wasn't aware of this. Thanks for the info Mict ;)

-----------------------------------------------------------------
... thermal tape rather than a thermal pad ...
-----------------------------------------------------------------

A tricky one to decide when all we have is a description ...

I would say that if its tape then it will be shiny with a plastic feel to it so that it will peel away easily without removing the thermal pad.

If it is a thermal pad then it will be soft and deform easily. You can test this by pressing your fingernail on it to see if this leaves a permanent mark.

The thermal conductivity of plasic tape is very poor so I would'nt risk leaving it on. If you're unsure then remove it and use thermal paste as previously suggested.:cool:

Dual Power Supply

Don't forget to update your bios with the latest. Once you plug the daughter board in it will report a failure until you do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back