Startup menu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stacey

I have a gateway laptop (stats are in profile) that I tried to stop some of the items on the startup menu. I received a warning that I was changing the way windows starts and did I want to continue. One of the items was the windows messenger. Is there a way to tell what start up items are necessary and which are not. I had checked the items here I am a little nervous about changing the setting that came programmed into the computer. Thank you for your help ahead of time.

It`s perfectly safe to use msconfig`s startup tab to stop programmes from starting with Windows. However, if you`re unsure about what to stop, post a HJT log as per these instructions and I`ll help you to decide what can be stopped.

Regards Howard :)

Not sure about Vista, but in XP I would just uncheck everything for start-up. Wont Windoze restart automatically what it has to have at start-up Howard?

No, Windows won`t automatically start what`s been stopped, that would defeat the object of stopping items in the first place. However, it`s very easy to reverse the changes. ;)

Reqested log

I am not sure if the program name changed or not. I saved it to the C-drive as analyzethis. Please let me know if I did it okay. I use an encrypted d-link wireless routes on this laptop. Thanks for your time, Howard and halo71

I just realized that I run in administrator is that a problem, this is a person computer.

IMO, most Windows XP start-up programs use minimal resources and basically, in modern computers with decent resources available, don't need to be stopped.

Rather than interfere with your OS, add another stick of RAM.

:)

You can safely stop the following items if you wish. Please note: None of the entries below are nasty and you don`t have to stop them all if you don`t want to.

Run HJT with no other programmes open. Click the scan button. Have HJT fix the following, by placing a tick in the little box next to(if there).

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.optonline.net/Home

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.gateway.com/g/startpage.html?Ch=Consumer&Br=GTW&Loc=ENG_US&Sys=PTB&M=NX570X

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://www.gateway.com/g/startpage.html?Ch=Consumer&Br=GTW&Loc=ENG_US&Sys=PTB&M=NX570X

R3 - URLSearchHook: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - (no file)

After fixing the above, you will need to set a new homepage.

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll

O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar3.dll

O2 - BHO: CBrowserHelperObject Object - {CA6319C0-31B7-401E-A518-A07C3DB8F777} - c:\windows\system32\BAE.dll

O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar3.dll

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Gateway Extended Warranty] "C:\Program Files\Gateway\GWCares\GWCares.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxtray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PC Pitstop Optimize Scheduler] C:\Program Files\PCPitstop\Optimize\PCPOptimize.exe -boot

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Power2GoExpress] NA

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\1.2.1128.5462\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background

O4 - Global Startup: BigFix.lnk = C:\Program Files\BigFix\bigfix.exe

O4 - Global Startup: Bluetooth.lnk = ?

O8 - Extra context menu item: Send to &Bluetooth Device... - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie_ctx.htm

O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Shdocvw.dll

O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

O16 - DPF: {30528230-99f7-4bb4-88d8-fa1d4f56a2ab} (YInstStarter Class) - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\yinsthelper.dll

Click on the fix checked button.

Close HJT and reboot your system.

Depending on how many of the above optional items you stop, you may see an increase in your computers performance.

Thank you Howard!!! I followed your instructions and the computer boots a lot faster now and all the programs I didn't need on startup are gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back