Startup programs not loading properly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daveskater

Hi, recently my startup programs have not been loading properly. The process starts and stays running and they come up for a few seconds but then disappear. The only way to get them back again is to stop the process then load the program again. I have also found ScanningProcess.exe running on my pc and I just looked it up to be a trojan. Whether it's related to this problem or not I don't know.

If anybody knows why my programs are practically closing themselves then I'll be grateful and amazed because I have no idea why.

If you need any other info just ask.

Thanks

Edit: it seems that scanningprocess.exe can also be related to the new version of ZoneAlarm which I got recently. But surely that wouldn't cause this problem

Well the last scan i did found a trojan but that was removed but i'm just about to go out so i'll leave a scan running now.

Zonealarm has found "not-a-virus:RiskTool.Win32.Reboot.f" but apparently it's in a place that doesn't exist so it can't be removed. I've tried following the filepath myself but it's actually not there. Apparently it's "C:\DOCUME~1\*username*\LOCALS~1\Temp\$699D2AA3.t$m" but like i said, it isn't there, and I have hidden files and folders turned on so they're visible. I'm currently waiting for AVG to finish and see if that finds anything though.

Daveskater said:
Zonealarm has found "not-a-virus:RiskTool.Win32.Reboot.f" but apparently it's in a place that doesn't exist so it can't be removed. I've tried following the filepath myself but it's actually not there. Apparently it's "C:\DOCUME~1\*username*\LOCALS~1\Temp\$699D2AA3.t$m" but like i said, it isn't there, and I have hidden files and folders turned on so they're visible. I'm currently waiting for AVG to finish and see if that finds anything though.
ANYTHING in username\Locals\Temp can always be deleted. Your problem
is the file name $xxx$ is a special technique to hide names (gee thanks MS :( )

Boot into Safe Mode
go to that folder
select all contents
right-click any one->properties
uncheck R/O and Hidden
click OK​

now you should be able to selectively delete it or just delete all folder
contents

i did what you said but the file still wasn't there :suspiciou

i've bought a new hard drive now though so i'm moving onto that. thanks for your help anyway though :grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back