Startup programs one sees when you run MSCONFIG + START TAB

Status
Not open for further replies.

nondaj

I am questioning the need for all these programs to be running at startup or in the background (as I understand they do) but have such a long list - not sure if it is appropriate to post it all here? If so will return to this thread and so asking for help in which programs I can safely turn off.

My boot up time seems extraordinarily long.

Am running XP SP1
Processor GenuineIntel 2.53 Gigahertz
Physical Memory - 512.00 MB
Available Physical Memory - 313.36 MB
Graphics card - Nvidia GeForce4 MX 440
Sound Card - SB AUDigy Audio
IE Browser
DX 9.0 showing no problems
File System - Fat32
Monitor Mode - 800x600 pixels, 32 bit highest

Donna :p

well you could completely bypass all the items in the startup menu by un-clicking the 'load startup items' on the general page in msconfig and then rebooting,you could turn all of them back on by clicking on the 'load startup items' and rebooting.you can pretty much turn everything off one by one in the startup items and run exactly what you want later.you might want to keep your antivirus programs however personally i dont even have them on.you can also find tutorial and guides to do this correctly.

There won't be any problem listing them all here. There might be lots of spyware or crap that we can help you get rid of as well. No worries

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

Startup list

OK Shadow - thanks so much for reassurance and here is my listing:

Now this is what I see on that start tab when I do a run and type in msconfig:

Microtech Scanner - scanner
Microsoft Office - word processor
Adobe Reader - Adobe program
MSNMsgr - IM manager
gcasServ - Sypware
dumprep O -u - could not find
ApvxdWin - Panda virus prog.
Inicio - Panda Prog.
Run.dll32 - system prog.
NWiz - scanner
Nucpl - dll
Hpwuschd2 - printer
Rxmon - Roxio
EngUtil - Roxio
phomon5 - printer
hpcmpmgr - printer
hphupd05 - printer
Hpztsbo9 - win. system file driver
ADGJDET - creative sound audigy file
UpD Reg - Win. reg file
CT Helper - Win. File

Seems extraordinarily long and as I said takes me quite awhile to boot up.

Here are my PC stats to help give me info:

Am running XP SP1
Processor GenuineIntel 2.53 Gigahertz
Physical Memory - 512.00 MB
Available Physical Memory - 313.36 MB
Graphics card - Nvidia GeForce4 MX 440
Sound Card - SB AUDigy Audio
IE Browser
DX 9.0 showing no problems
File System - Fat32
Monitor Mode - 800x600 pixels, 32 bit highest

Thanks so much for any input anyone can give.

startup program message

Have typed out a lengthy message re my startup programs but I do not think it went because my browser never stopped working. Will try again later.

nondaj said:
OK Shadow - thanks so much for reassurance and here is my listing:

1.Microtech Scanner - scanner
2.Microsoft Office - word processor
3.Adobe Reader - Adobe program
4.MSNMsgr - IM manager
5.gcasServ - Sypware
6.dumprep O -u - could not find
7.ApvxdWin - Panda virus prog.
8.Inicio - Panda Prog.
9.Run.dll32 - system prog.
10.NWiz - scanner
11.Nucpl - dll
12.Hpwuschd2 - printer
13.Rxmon - Roxio
14.EngUtil - Roxio
15.phomon5 - printer
16.hpcmpmgr - printer
17.hphupd05 - printer
18.Hpztsbo9 - win. system file driver
19.ADGJDET - creative sound audigy file
20.UpD Reg - Win. reg file
21.CT Helper - Win. File

well lets see now,since i dont want to type the entire names i'll just refer to nos.
you can disbable no.1,no.2 is the launcher for ms office it eats up resources and doesnt have that much of a use so disable it you can start from the start menu cant you,no3 is useless so disable it too,disable no.4 to get rid of msn messenger,this uses up a lot of resources when it launches you can turn it on when you want,disable no.5,disable 6,7-8-9 are anitvirus you seem to have panda if you use it than let it be but if its expired or just a demo then disable it,10-11 are nvidia programs for your graphic card disable them they are useless,12 the next one is your printer scheduler to do some scheduled tasks useless,disable the next two13-14,15 is the photo monitor disable if you dont use photo monitor,16 is your printer program leave it,17 seems to be the update program for your printers driver disdable it as well,18-19 are necessay so leave them be,20 is a registry file you should turn it off without any effects,no idea what 21 is but you can disable it to see if it has any effects.
so i pretty much told you to turn everything off you can start whatever you want later on or by manually turning them on this way you wouldnt require a single program in the startuplist,check windows task manager and note anything hogging your systems resources and disable that.you can even turn a lot of your services off if you dont need them through the administrative tools->services.you can find guides and tutorial online which tell you exactly what is use less and what is not.

start up list

Shadow: How can I thank you! How helpful you have been. Will follow through on your suggestions and see what happens - can always turn something back on again if for whatever reason does not work out. Again thanks for your time, patience at studying my listing and inputting your comments, and of course for your expertise :grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back