Steam login doesn't work

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetalX

Whenever I try to log into Steam, it always says that it could not connect than that there is either a problem with my network or with Steam. The website reports that nothing is wrong with Steam, so I think that something is wrong with my network. Anyone know what's going on?

When I plug the modem directly into my computer, it connects, but when I try to connect through the router it doesn't work.

All the ports are open, and I tried DMZ.

Are you using a firewall? Or maybe the router has its own firewall. Try disabling it, and see if it works.

It doesn't have any software :( It's a cheapo router that I got for 20 bucks. It does the job of sharing the internet connection and sharing files, but not much else :(. I think I should just buy a new one.

<begin rant>
grrrrr; I go nuts when people recommend 'turn off your firewall'.
IMO, this only proves lack of understanding and an unwillingness to use GOOGLE.COM to learn how. :rolleyes:
It also invites attacks withing just a few milliseconds.
</end rant>

Steam needs open ports 27000-27015 AND 27020-2705 to be forwarded to
the system of your choice.

IF you believe that turning off the firewall is a reasonable thing to do,
at least PLEASE use a Limited Access Account to access the Internet and
NOT your Admin account --- PLEASE! :wave:

I have disabled my two firewalls (router and software ones) and nothing happened :p

But anyway MetalX, trust Jobeard, he's a network expert (I really mean it) :)

wolfram said:
I have disabled my two firewalls (router and software ones) and nothing happened :p
hum; hard to disable the FW internal to the router. Yoy *must* forward the stated ports above. :)

I can't forward that many ports. My router is quite terrible and it only lets me forward TWELVE (12) ports :( And it won't let me enter ranges, it has to be single ports in one of the 12 slots.

I also can't get a firmware update since the company who made my router went under about 6 weeks after I got my router.

jobeard said:
hum; hard to disable the FW internal to the router. Yoy *must* forward the stated ports above. :)

I'm using a 2wire router, and my ISP gave me a special software, so I can disable the FW and forward ports as much as I want or need.

But even with that software, I can't use BitTorrent or Edonkey :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back