Still having troubles with spyware need help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have the spyware.look2me virus.

removal instructions

Removal using the Spyware.Look2Me Removal Tool
Symantec Security Response has developed a removal tool for Spyware.Look2Me. Use this removal tool first, as it is the easiest way to remove this threat.

The tool can be found here:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/FxSpL2Me.exe

The current version of the tool is version 1.0.1. It will have a digital signature timestamp equivalent to 1/20/2005 7:14 AM

Note: The date and time displayed will be adjusted to your time zone, if your computer is not set to the Pacific time zone.

It has been reported that a computer on which Spyware.Look2Me is installed may also have other security risks. Symantec recommends that the following steps be carried out:

1. Apply the Spyware.Look2Me Removal Tool.
2. Update the definitions by starting the Symantec program and running LiveUpdate.
3. Run a full system scan to detect any other security risks on the computer.
4. If the scan detects any further security risks, check for removal tools at http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/security.risks.tools.list.html.
5. If there are no removal tools for the security risks that are detected, follow the manual removal instructions listed in the threat report.

Manual Removal
The following instructions pertain to all current and recent Symantec antivirus products, including the Symantec AntiVirus and Norton AntiVirus product lines.

1. Disable System Restore (Windows Me/XP).
2. Update the virus definitions.
3. Restart the computer in Safe mode or Safe mode with Command Prompt.
4. Run a system scan.
5. Reverse the changes made to the registry.

For details on each of these steps, read the following instructions.

1. To disable System Restore (Windows Me/XP)
If you are running Windows Me or Windows XP, we recommend that you temporarily turn off System Restore. Windows Me/XP uses this feature, which is enabled by default, to restore the files on your computer in case they become damaged. If a virus, worm, or Trojan infects a computer, System Restore may back up the virus, worm, or Trojan on the computer.

Windows prevents outside programs, including antivirus programs, from modifying System Restore. Therefore, antivirus programs or tools cannot remove threats in the System Restore folder. As a result, System Restore has the potential of restoring an infected file on your computer, even after you have cleaned the infected files from all the other locations.

Also, a virus scan may detect a threat in the System Restore folder even though you have removed the threat.

For instructions on how to turn off System Restore, read your Windows documentation, or one of the following articles:

* "How to disable or enable Windows Me System Restore"
* "How to turn off or turn on Windows XP System Restore"

Note: When you are completely finished with the removal procedure and are satisfied that the threat has been removed, re-enable System Restore by following the instructions in the aforementioned documents.

For additional information, and an alternative to disabling Windows Me System Restore, see the Microsoft Knowledge Base article, "Antivirus Tools Cannot Clean Infected Files in the _Restore Folder," Article ID: Q263455.

2. To update the virus definitions
Symantec Security Response fully tests all the virus definitions for quality assurance before they are posted to our servers. There are two ways to obtain the most recent virus definitions:

* Running LiveUpdate, which is the easiest way to obtain virus definitions: These virus definitions are posted to the LiveUpdate servers once each week (usually on Wednesdays), unless there is a major virus outbreak. To determine whether definitions for this threat are available by LiveUpdate, refer to the Virus Definitions (LiveUpdate).
* Downloading the definitions using the Intelligent Updater: The Intelligent Updater virus definitions are posted daily. You should download the definitions from the Symantec Security Response Web site and manually install them. To determine whether definitions for this threat are available by the Intelligent Updater, refer to the Virus Definitions (Intelligent Updater).

The Intelligent Updater virus definitions are available: Read "How to update virus definition files using the Intelligent Updater" for detailed instructions.

3. To restart the computer in Safe mode or Safe mode with Command Prompt
Follow the instructions for your operating system.

Windows 95/98/Me
Shut down the computer and turn off the power. Wait for at least 30 seconds, and then restart the computer in Safe mode. For instructions, read the document, "How to start the computer in Safe Mode."

Once in Safe mode (this could take some time) proceed with section 4.

Windows 2000

1. Shut down the computer, and then turn off the power. Wait for at least 30 seconds, and then restart the computer
2. When you see the black and white Starting Windows bar at the bottom of the screen, press the F8 key (usually on the top row of the keyboard).
3. In the Windows 2000 Advanced Options Menu, select Safe mode with Command Prompt, and then press Enter.

Once the computer opens to a window with a command prompt (you should see a line of text and a blinking cursor), proceed with section 4.

Windows XP

1. Shut down the computer, and then turn off the power. Wait for at least 30 seconds, and then restart the computer. The computer begins processing a set of instructions known as the Basic Input/Output System (BIOS). What is displayed depends on the BIOS manufacturer. Some computers display a progress bar that refers to the word BIOS, while others may not display any indication that this process is occurring.
2. As soon as the BIOS has finished loading, begin tapping the F8 key on your keyboard. Continue to do so until the Windows Advanced Options menu appears. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers will display a "keyboard error" message. To avoid this, restart the computer and try again.
3. In the Windows 2000 Advanced Options Menu, select Safe mode with Command Prompt, and then press Enter.

Once the computer opens to a window with a command prompt (you should see a line of text and a blinking cursor), proceed with section 4.

4. To run a system scan

1. Do one of the following:
1. Windows 2000/XP: Skip to step b.
2. Windows 95/98/Me: Click Start > Run.

2. Type the following:

cd "\program files\norton antivirus"
navw32.exe /L

3. Do one of the following:
1. Windows 2000/XP: Press Enter.
2. Windows 95/98/Me: Click OK.

4. Take note of the file paths of any .dll files detected as Spyware.Look2Me that are located in the %System% directory, as they are needed when deleting the threat from the registry.

5. Proceed to Step 5.

5. To reverse the changes made to the registry
Important: Symantec strongly recommends that you back up the registry before making any changes to it. Incorrect changes to the registry can result in permanent data loss or corrupted files. Modify the specified keys only. Read the document, "How to make a backup of the Windows registry," for instructions.

1. Type regedit

Then click OK.

2. Navigate to the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

3. In the right pane, delete the value:

"SESync" = "%Program Files%\SED\SED.exe"

4. Navigate to and delete the following subkeys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{DDFFA75A-E81D-4454-89FC-B9FD0631E726}
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{A7CD5137-D2D6-4E2F-8279-4E7631159712}
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{E79061BA-B6E7-4A9D-A07C-C3CB561013B4}
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{0421701D-CF13-4E70-ADF0-45A953E7CB8B}
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AppID\HP.EXE
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AppID\{C81CFF28-6DF1-402F-B78C-D9493EF59882}
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{1423903E-86CC-4470-8AB0-257C10D77D45}
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{4DEA7CA1-3372-4204-937C-2DD4A6ED6562}
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{A42DC659-33B5-409E-A433-650AC42ECCA4}
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{A8516F49-8046-4295-8EE9-C59D5041C9E2}
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{FB82CCD5-174B-4379-BC37-72D9B5ADAEDA}
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\TypeLib\{47350D97-09E9-4590-864E-3431DA53BF37}
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\TypeLib\{FA777197-4BF7-4AA9-A088-A0D803198DE0}
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\HP.Hopper
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\HP.Hopper.1
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\SP.SmartPops
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\SP.SmartPops.1
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{0421701D-CF13-4E70-ADF0-45A953E7CB8B}
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Recommended Hotfix - 421701D
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ShellExtensions\Approved\{DDFFA-E81D-4454-89FC-B9FD0631E726}
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Look2Me
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Hopper

5. Navigate to and delete the following subkeys that reference the .dll files noted in step 4d.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ShellExtensions\Approved\[Random number]
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify\{Random name]
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\[Random number]

6. Exit the Registry Editor.

7. Restart the computer in Normal Mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back